AW4 Trany in 95 YJ

ricesyj

How difficult would it be to put an AW4 transmission out of a 88 XJ that had a 4.0 motor. The trany would go into my 95 YJ that also has a 4.0 motor in it.

Thanks,

Troy

it will bolt up to the 4.0. you may need to make a new crossmember. if it is replacing a 5-speed it may be a little extra work. Do you have the separate TCU that goes with the AW4?

It will be behind the dash on the passenger side. You will also need to get the wiring harness too unless you want to use a manual switch to control it.

Probably a better bet to look for an simpler transmission to install if you want fully automatic functioning.

Andy

yeah what andy said if you want a regular auto.

im intending to go aw4 in my cj because you can get the full manual switch control for it from www.awshiftings.com or something. guy on pirate builds the controllers. pretty sweet setup.

Yea I looked at the website and that shifter looked pretty impressive. Do you have to have a computer for the AW4. I was talking to another guy and he said that without the computer all you lose is the ability to lock out the transmission.

You do not need the computer with the AW shifting setup. In his setup he has a lockout for the torque converter. If you have any questions search under his name on Pirate (BrettM) where he has a thread with every question about his setup answered as well as testimonials from people using it. I have been looking into this for my 93 yj and as far as his setup goes its like a 20min install and your ready to go.

Granted you still need to make crossmembers/make sure your tcase has the right splined input shaft/etc.

Leach

You will still need the stock style shifter to get park/reverse/neutral/drive and then you shift with the joystick while in drive.

I put my AX15 on Ebay and a guy with a 97 TJ wants to make his a 5spd. Would the trany out of that work easier or would there still be major issues. I think that the older automatics did not have overdrive but that really is not a major concern to me. I would assume I could get the computer shifter pretty much everything.

Back