bad brake shake

jeepeater2003

hey all

well, since the jeep has been on the road, it has a problem.
when ever i hit the brakes, they work fine, the pedal does not pulsate like it has a worped rotor or any thing.
if i apply the brakes really hard, the WHOLE jeep shudders really really bad.
kindoff like its hooping, or skidding, just really really bad.

i have a 93 YJ, dana 60 and 44, disks front and rear, same master cyl. and booster.

does any one have any ideas?

tyler

ummm...maybe the jeep IS skidding a little bit? i helped a guy fix up his XJ and the brakes either were always too soft, (wouldnt stop easily) or too hard, (and skidded a little bit) -chase

If it is spring over, that may be your problem. Axle rotaing, kinda the reverse of wheel hop. Also check that everything is tight, bearings, calipers and so on. Have you changed anything in the brakes to work with the disk brakes in the rear?

You might also check the bushing on the upper and lower links. Just a thought...

i have not taken out the prop valve so its still 60 front 40 rear, or what ever comes factory. should i take that out and try it.
the other thing MAYBE, just maybe is the axle rotating, but i haven't heard of anyone else having this problem with my set up. SOA, waggys front and xjs rear

tyler

With the 60/40 set up, and 4 wheel disk you have the same amount of breaking power availible on all 4 corners, but sending only 40 to the rear, it may be standing up on the front when hard braking. Since the Jeep isn't balanced, and more leverage is availible with the SOA, that could be your wobble. It would not be as noticable when regular braking. If you are using stock XJ springs they are longer, and are softer than the waggys. Does it seem to nose, or does the rear seem to lift when braking hard? ANother fix maybe as simple as a steering stabilizer. Hydro assisit is cheap and great for the woods and acts like a stabilizer too.

upnover said:
Hydro assisit is cheap and great for the woods and acts like a stabilizer too.

Hydro is a great addition, but with his setup, that's just BEGGING for trouble.

What does it do if you start slowing gently, then apply the brakes more and more? is it an "all of the sudden" thing, or does it come on gradually?

Are your rear discs perfectly centered on the hub? any slop?

disks are centered on the rear,
when i apply it gradually, it doesn't do it untill a certian point and then its all of a sudden.

tyler

ps. could it be a possiblitly of all these things, no stabilzer, same prop valve...

Anyone???

The fact that it comes on at a certain place in the pedal leads me to belive that it is simply a mattr of "too much" brake.
Follow my thought here. Light rig wide tire and hlla brakes. Apllied gradually all is well, at a certain point you may actually be quasi locking the wheels up.

Another thought though, disk brakes do require a different line pressure than drums. When doing a rear disk conversion (and even front disk conversion on a coupe rigs) I have always used an adjustable prop. valve and never had problems after initial dial in...
Just my $.02... but what do i know?

any input from anyone (who knows alitte) is helpfull
thanks
tyler

what type pads did you use? metallics, semi metallics, or fiber.
it may be the type of pads causing a braking difference between the front and rear combined with your suspension set up and tire size/width.

you might could try a different type pad? may be non metallic ones
it's just a suggestion

I would check and make sure everything is tight first. u bolts and what not on the axles.

one more suggestion is have someone ride beside you when it happens to see if they can tell which axle is doing the shaking.

thats a good idea, ill have someone ride beside me and see if they can see anything or where its coming from

the pads are from carquest, same front and rear. both brand new.

tyler

Back