Bad Fuel Pump, Beating Tank to get it to start?

JonBoy

Ok if it was local I would not be asking this question I would just try it. Anyway I have a car thats about 35 miles away. I am about 33% sure its the fuel pump. I have been told that beaing on the tank will get it running again (short term) Is there any truth to this? I had not planned on going and getting it until I could get a trailor and pull it back. Just wondering if there was any truth to beating the tank before I take the drive just to try.

Yes, there is truth to this, have done it many times. But it does not always work. depends on how fried the pump motor is.

a good dead blow hammer about the center of the tank, have someone crank the car while you are hitting.

Good luck !!

Kevin

While I have used this, IME it has been because of trast in tank blocking/sucked into outlet, beating with hammer dislodged trash...
Unless its a newer EFI vehicle with pump in tank I cant see any other way hitting tank could help....

Sometimes the bushings in the pump will lock up in a certain spot. beating on the tank may shake it anough to brake past that point. Does not always work. Good luck.

Back