Bad key chip?

awheelterd

I'm pretty sure either my transponder key or receiver is going bad. I stopped by a guy that works for me's house this evening to help him with a few things and when I went to leave, my truck wouldn't start. Wouldn't even try. Didn't start slow, starter didn't click, nothing. Turn the key and it did absolutely nothing. Beat on the starter, nothing. Had him try the key with me under the truck at starter and it made 0 sound. Battery is only 1 yr old. Checked connections and all we're good. Kept trying key whilst smacking steering column and shaking the gear shift and finally it started like normal, no hesitation once it decided to start.

All that said, can I have the transponder aspect of the start sequence programmed out? Truck is an 06 f150. I wouldn't give 2 shits if it got stolen. If I could make it push button start with a on/off toggle I would.

You’re more likely having having a switch issue, most Transponder keys don’t disable the start function, but fuel system. If you have a security light on the dash somewhere it should go out when the key is in the proper place, that will should tell you if the transponder is working.
I have a broken transponder key with a cut key, if I don’t have the key head next to the lighted ring when cranking the security light stays on, it’ll crank but no start. Toyota Tacoma YMMV

Back