Bad pinion seal?

MSB

Went to change thirds in the rear of my '95 toyota, drained the third of oil and when i took the driveshaft off more oil come out from the pinion. I'm guessing bad pinion seal? Any other ideas, and info on how hard it would be to fix.

if oil came from the center of the flange area (around pinion nut) it is not Uncommon.

check that the pinion flange in not loose, check pinion nut that it is staked and hasn't moved.

What can happen is lube works it's way down the splines of the pinion over time and fills the cavity in the pinion nut area of the flange.

Seen it happen a few times, rarely causes and issue unless the nut is loose or the pinion splines are twisted.

if it really bothers you, sure, pull the pinion nut and flange off, replace the outter seal, clean lube off splines and and flange and apply a light skim of sealer (teflon pipe dope works well) over the splines, then reassemble, being sure to get the nut tight to the same place it was before you tore it apart. (technically you should replace the crush sleeve, I never have, and have had no issue)

HTH

Kevin

no, it doesn't bother me, but i had never had that happen before, so i figured it wasn't good. I'll check the nut and see if its loose, otherwise I won't worry about it.

thanks for the info.

Back