Battery (?) frustrations

kaiser715

Doing hard time
I gotta vent....

Drove my truck to supper. 2019 F250 6.2 gasser. Parked, spent about an hour eating, and when I went back to the truck, the remote would not unlock the doors. Automatic assumption was that the remote fob battery was dead. So, unlocked the door manually. No beeps, no lights, totally dead. OK, totally dead starting battery (that's less than a year old).

Go to get the jump pack, meter, and a couple of tools out of of the bed. But of course the tailgate is locked, and there is no key slot. And I have a hard tonneau that you unlock once the tailgate is open. The only way I see to unlock the tailgate manually is if you have access to the bed side of the tailgate. So, I borrow a jumpstarter. Absolutely nothing happens, other than the green light comes on saying that it's connected correctly. No beeps, no dash, no unlock. So I give it a five-minute technical stare. It was getting dark, so I was thinking the best thing would be to call for a tow and deal with it at the shop.

But, then it came to life. Horn (alarm) started blowing, dash lit up, and I was able to crank it right up. Drive it home with no issues.

At the shop, I put my tester on the battery, and it is showing 36.60 volts and won't go further, into testing mode. Cranked it up, it showed 14.8 charging. Shut it down, and it's now 12.79. Five minutes later, it's 5.36v. But cranks right up. Tester is straight to the battery lugs, not the cable clamps.

It's gotta be the battery. All I have learned from this so far is to keep my tools and stuff in the cab.

IMG_5306.jpeg

IMG_5305.jpeg

IMG_5304.jpeg

Probably battery is shot but I always look for ground connections too when they start acting goofy. Check both ends. Maybe run a jumper cable as a ground to the frame or block if it acts up again and see if that remedies but likely batt.

Turns out it was both a bad negative ground, and a bad battery. Probably cooked it.

bad ground? on a 3 year old truck? had it been modified somehow?

5 years. DSPO hack job adding a couple of cables to the battery clamps.

Well good news is the battery should still be under warranty right?
Yep.... Got them to put a new one in as part of the deal when I bought it.

Similar problems here. 2016 Chevrolet 1500. Factory battery lasted 37 months. AC/Delco. Although I had taken my truck back to the dealer twice, before it died, they never found anything wrong. Then battery dies, 1 month out of warranty. Couldn't even get a Prorate. They asked me if I wanted a New battery? I told them if That was the best AC/ Delco had, No! I went & had an Interstate Battery installed. A Larger one than cheap ass factory battery. It lasted better than 5 years. It was getting weak. I hated Walmart Batteries since having two of they're cheaper batteries in a daily driver, crap out. One within 1 year [free replacement], second lasted 25 months! One month out, again. But I was talking with my retired master mechanic who swears by Walmart, & whoever makes their battery. So I buy their Best battery that will fit in my truck. It's two years old now. Seemed kind of sudden, I notice the started turns slower. A couple times It turned like it was near Dead! I load test it & see nothing wrong. Chargers fine. Came out of a dinner last week, turned the key & I don't know What happened! It's like a malfunction & everything was Dead. WTF? I turned the key again & it started normally. But all my settings & things were lost! My info center is telling me to lower the driver window & raise it. Reset the seat setting. Clock had gone dead, radio, info thingy. I punched the radio button & it came back on. I've had to reset the clock, cruise control, & find the setting for my mileage & such! Just like I had pulled the battery out. Hard to know what to think?

Back