Beefin the Rear packs

Just a thought, don't the new chebbys come with discs in the rear? I assume they still use the ten bolt since the only thing they ever change is the body. Might look into getting either a newer rear axle or the brakes off a newer one.

hmmm, might need to look into that. There probably goin for high dollar prices still thou since there fairly new, but def something to check into prob

You can buy this cheap truck from me, work on it a little, and use it to tow stuff with.

http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15087

wait wouln't that be worse for towing??? lol guess the 14 bolt would have bigger brakes though :driver:

I know where a saweet deal on a 3500 Dodge is.

Man if only I had the $$, heck if I only had a couple hundred right now i could fix the fact that the only reason my exhaust hasnt fallen out of the truck is my front driveshaft holding it up :shaking:

wait wouln't that be worse for towing??? lol guess the 14 bolt would have bigger brakes though

Others on here can correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason I mentioned the truck I have for sale is that it's a 3/4-ton, and it's stock height. Yes, it's much older than your current 1/2-ton, but it has a frame, springs, and rear axle built to handle the load of what you want to tow. I was suggesting that if you got a cheap beater tow rig (any one, not necessarily mine) you could just use it to tow and not worry about having to modify your Z71. Almost any 3/4 or 1-ton truck would be good for you - it doesn't have to be a diesel.

So you would be comparing a stock 73 3/4-ton 2WD Chevy to your lifted, big tire, 95 half ton. Even if the brakes on both trucks had the same capacity, the 73 will brake better because it has smaller tires, and handle better with the smaller tires and much lower stance.

Again, not saying that *this* is the truck for you, but don't overlook a gas tow rig that you can get cheaper than a diesel, since you can't afford a diesel.

Oh yea I was thinkin more along the lines of having the 4" lift on the blazer and rear shackle flip i thought they were alread installed. But yea your def right the brakes would definitly be bigger.

As far as getting a gas tow rig, yea it probably would be cheaper than trying to get a deisel one but then I'd have to sell my truck to buy it which i really don't want to do :shaking: I know, I know, but i'd rather just do a few mods here and there to get me by for the next two or so years then just go fer the real deal and get a dually deisel rig when I get outta college and still have my truck to boot.

I mean the game plan is this fer now: drop my truck to 3 to 4" of susp lift, beef the rear packs and run 35's with the 4.88's I have. Then get me some front brakes put on the front axle of the trailer, and see if I can't figure out a way to upgrade my truck brakes as well.

Hey - sorry for the confusion!!! I meant to post a link to the 1973 Chevy pickup I have for sale:
http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15086

Not that Blazer. :) I hope everything I wrote makes more sense now. :)

The lifted Blazer does have 3/4-ton axles, but you are right - it would NOT make a better tow rig than your 1/2-ton truck.

Hey - sorry for the confusion!!! I meant to post a link to the 1973 Chevy pickup I have for sale:
http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15086
Not that Blazer. :) I hope everything I wrote makes more sense now. :)
The lifted Blazer does have 3/4-ton axles, but you are right - it would NOT make a better tow rig than your 1/2-ton truck.

Ahh yea man, makes since now ;) don't really want to have to rebuild a tranny and get another vehicle. I am seriously thinkin bout getting that burb that has the 30 spline 10 bolts from you just so i can use the disc brake conv parts off the rear axle. Might could get it from you next week after I get back up to Raleigh cause I got Fall break this week and I'm goin back to Mooresville Tommorow morning be ther throu the weekend. I'll pm you bout it later today, I'm on my way out to class.

Just an update for everyone so you'l know I am now towing much more capably now :driver:

Dropped the truck down to about 3" of suspension lift, got the front angles all flat cv's strait. Took the shackle flip off the rear went back to normal style shackle pointing up and rebuilt the rear packs they now have 5 leaves and 2 overloads each. Getting some new 35x12.5 nitto tera's friday, took the electric cutouts off back to normal old flowmasters, got rid of the light covers.

the rear packs as they sit give me exactly 3" of rear lift so it ended out working perfect the truck sits nice and level, also what really surprised me is that truck rides even better than before, not all stiff actually a little more smoothly, also its alot easier to turn, I guess the angles from the torsoin bars being cranked up all the way was holding that back some.

Anyway so now my truck is much better equiped to handle towing, I'm anxious to see how the rear packs do when I load em up.

Dude, I know you've towed some with it before, but I would recommend you get some better tranny cooling. I just had to have the tranny in my '96 rebuilt cause of the rolling mass of big tires. The trannies in these trucks don't like heat at all. Spend $100 and get a deeper pan and an external cooler if you don't already have those...better than having to get a rebuild.

Back