before i go pick up a job app...

orange150

Before i go pick a job application for the tool department at Sears I was wondering if there is any job that any of yall did during your college years that you enjoyed or had fun with. I worked at an auto repair shop for 3 years and even got premoted once to a higher level mechanic, but quit before school started. So now that i need money again i wanted to see what other people have done for jobs so i might get some better ideas of what is out there.

I was a valet at the "nudie" bar(Gold Club) in Atlanta..made great tips, drove great cars, and you can guess the perks. I also was the Easter bunny at Mall and was called for a return engagement as "snow bear" for a department store.
I loved Baseball and worked summers at the batting cages, all pretty cool jobs at the time.
I did make myself a personal promise to try and never work in the food service industry, so far so good.

As much as the food service industry sucks, there is no better job for hours worked versus money made...waiting tables puts cash in your wallet everynight and you dont have to wait every 2 weeks for a paycheck...

delivering pizzas, hands down over any other part time job i've had. if you need a hookup, just drop me a line i'll be glad to refer you to the dominos i worked at.

street pharmacist :smokin: J/K

did work at The (Home) De-pot though,. in the hardware department

decent wages and paid tuition re-embursment (half tuition and books/supplies) as long as it could be related to their company. and managed to set my own hours since my class schedule was so screwed up. ;)

if your going to apply at a large company such as these, check to see what they can do for you before committing (unless your desperate)

I slung brick/block around since I was 12 working for my dads masonry company. Great hours, 6am till about 2~3, good pay and only worked weekdays. Then I went to work at my brothers shop. Then went to college and was a bartender at a club. I made anywhere from $200-$350 a night on thurs and saturdays.

i've done just about every crappy job there is in a college town. doorman at the hippie bar was the best, aside from the hours. made decent wage plus tipout, didn't have many problems (it being the hippie bar). live music kicked ass, lots of women, never paid my way into any of the other bars around, and my drinks were basically free.

restaurant jobs (at least in the kitchen) can be awesome, if you work with the right people.

that's basically the main thing, if you can get a job with friends or at least with people you get along with and can joke with. otherwise, work sucks no matter what you're doing.

BIGWOODY said:
I was a valet at the "nudie" bar(Gold Club) in Atlanta..made great tips, drove great cars, and you can guess the perks. I also was the Easter bunny at Mall and was called for a return engagement as "snow bear" for a department store.
I loved Baseball and worked summers at the batting cages, all pretty cool jobs at the time.
I did make myself a personal promise to try and never work in the food service industry, so far so good.

haha........thats a GIGANTIC fawking easter bunny! Jeez greg...lol

my room mate works at sears @ crabtree, he was tool now he's lawn and garden. Tools have a straight hourly rate while lawn and garden has a base pay + commission. he has never made less on commission than he did while in tools. Last check he worked 43 hours over 2 weeks and made $900 after taxes. Of course, not all weeks are good and sales are better in the summer than any other time of year. You want to apply for lawn and garden. You can still sell tools and most do, but the pay is better b/c of the commision you get from lawn mowers, treadmills, etc.

Waiting tables or bartending. Can't beat the pay versus hours worked. Not to mention all the young ladies that you work with and meet on the job. Anything hourly will kill you plus it won't be a lot of fun. Food service will suck for a couple weeks of training, but after that it can be really fun if you enjoy people. Valet would be cool too, but the hours would suck. I worked tons of different jobs to get through school. I had the time it took me 10 years. Lots of :beer: :beer: :flipoff2: . Out of all of them I miss the sevice industry. mainly bar tending.

Ivan, delivering pizzas, do you pay for your gas or do they and was the pay ok.

the reason i was thinking about the tool department was a discount on Craftsmen tools. Working on commission always makes me nervious but thats just because i worked on a salery and had a solid pay check a week.
Also im use to not haveing to work weekends and working from 8-6 everyday so i had my nights and weekends free.

they payed 90 cents a delivery. gas was ~1.70 when i quit, and i'd usually break about even or maybe a little better on gas. weeknights i averaged 20-30 bucks in tips for 2-3 hours of work plus the base hourly rate of 7 bucks. weekends i'd make anywhere from 50-100 a night in tips depending on how busy it got. short of selling drugs, you're not going to find a job where you make that kind of cash in a couple hours and all you have to do is drive around. the guy that did it as his fulltime job made 35-40k a year working 30-35 hours a week.

Back