Bellypan skid material?

Junkyard Dog said:
not to be a smart ass ,but 3\32" is .09375 1\32" = .03125

No problem at all! Thanks for the catch :)

lomod - One of the guys that I asked about their Al skid is running a 1/4" 6061 skid on his, and though it has slightly bent here and there, is holding up fine, so I'm not terribly concerned about it being too weak.

Considering that my only skid before was the NP205, I outta be OK.. :)

for bonding use some 3m marine tex caulking, and bolt the outside edges. smear the marine tex between the two plates. clamp it. set it and forget it. the stuff has uncanny bonding ability

3/16 steel is what I used....

93810800.jpg

Question...Wouldn't a heavy steel skid plate (1/4" or thicker) help ever so slighty in keeping the CG of the vehicle lower? Is the higher cost of aluminum worth the extra pounds lost VS. steel?

I know there are advantages to both steel and aluminum. What has held up the best for most of you?

Fish

Ok so first 3/8 aluminum is 53.5 LBS and 1/4 steel is 102 LBS(as rich said)
that means the steel, wich i think can take more of a beating would be 49 LBS more...Will your rig realy notice that??? it is realy not that much.

Second, if you want aluminum and light weight thats cool, how about do this...
take a 1/8 piece of steel, weld nuts all the way around(space them about 6")
then a 1/8 aluminum ,drill holes for the nuts, put the to together with a bolt and washer. That will give you a 1/4 plate that is 69 LBS and will be strong

krehel24 said:
the steel...would be 49 LBS more...Will your rig realy notice that??? it is realy not that much.

It adds up man... Everywhere it's cost effective to do so, I'm taking weight off.

Why do you think Sami's can do so well on many obstacles? They weigh nothing.

My biggest reason for wanting aluminum is so I can lift the skid into place easily by myself for servicing.

Thats a great point by itslef,Rich.I dont want to install and remove a 100 pound skid............Ya its easy with a floor jack but what about out in the middle of no where on a rocky hill????Really I think the 3/8's alum Im using will be fine.Just wanted some real world insight.It didnt cost me anything so the price wasnt a factor.As far as laminating alum to steel,well I think thats getting carried away but hey thats just my opinion............

Back