Bent Bumper - Suggestions on repair

rbo1577186

I bumped into a damn rock on the Rocky Mtn Trail at URE yesterday. I hit it about 2-3 mph. (guessing). From the end of the bumper to the beginning of the dent it's about 2 inches. The bumper is 3 inches in diameter. I was thinking.....
1. Heat it up with a propane torch and beat it round (or best I can) again with a jig I'll make. The jig will be a piece of stock or pipe from work that would be a close match in diameter. Ex. Get a piece of steel stock about 5 inches long, cut it in half (half moon), weld on a handle of some sort. Then wack away....
2. Replace the bumper.......
It doesn't have to be perfect, but I'd like to make it round enough to put the end cap back on.
901904107_m.jpg

901910408_m.jpg

901913169_m.jpg

Thanks,
Ricky

if it's only crimped on the end...cut it off, and cut the other side to match...and you'll have a round section to put the cap back in...

Greg

that's how I did mine...here's how it looked months ago before I completely mangled it:

IMG_5142.jpg

it now looks closer to this:

DSCN1463.JPG

and will be replaced sometime soon...

Greg

Bumper

Ram other side into something or beat it with a big sledge hammer until both sides match. :D

or cut off and put cap back in hole :driver:

Just replace it with a real bumper like this.
ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i266_gogogadgetbiker_Jeep21.jpg

Here is the matching rear
ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i266_gogogadgetbiker_DSC00068.jpg

These were made for around $100 each in materials, and a lot of time. Let me know if you have questions about them. For the record, the warn and all the other yuppie bumpers ain't got nothing on these.:huggy:

rbo1577186 said:
I like the way you think........ Go back and bump into the same rock from the other direction....

nah...just find a different rock...;) that's kinda what mine have morphed into...cut the rear one, and then have had to cut more and more off the front...

rbo1577186 said:
OK, if I cut if off, I have a 4 1/2" angle grinder. I'm thinking a recipocating saw would be much easier.......

I think I used a plasma cutter one time, and a porta-band the other...

reciprocating saw would work fine, but so would an angle grinder...

Greg

bigassedredjeep said:
man that's a good-looking jeep :flipoff2:
"...nothing says lovin' like sawsall cuttin'... " :lol:

Yeah, I like that gray Jeep. Don't know why anyone would let that darn red one in the background...:flipoff2:

Its so ugly I"m surprised the camera lense didn't break...:lol:

dude you better stop wheeling now. your just going to get dents if you leave the mall parking lot :flipoff2:

Back