Best way to make a long travel driveshaft?

Tacoma747

Not really wanting another square shaft, I have looked at the tractor splined shaft, but can't find the female part of the shaft. What is a good way to make a long travel front driveshaft? It does not have to be perfectly balanced, but I need something by labor day weekend. The one I have was made by Oliver's, and it will both bottom out and come apart. I may end up doing some sort of limiting strap to keep the axle from dropping so much, I think it comes apart most of the time when in reverse and in sort of a bind.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

A good friend of mine made mine from the tractor supply stuff. To fit the ends in the shafts you have to either make sleeve to make it bigger or turn it down on a lath. Works great.

use a tractor pto shaft.
you can pick up stock (with no ends) at tractor supply.
its triangular and pretty thick. just cut off your joints
and weld em on.

Everything I have seen at TSC is super expensive, even the triangular stuff, I would end up having probably $80 in it to buy that stuff. There would probably be enough to make two though...

I will look again tomorrow.

The splined stuff is even more expensive, is there a cheaper place to get it?

I am using the trianglePTO shaft for mine. It works great, very little play. It was a little expensive, but there is plenty for two if you can fid a buddy that will split it with you.

I am using the trianglePTO shaft for mine. It works great, very little play. It was a little expensive, but there is plenty for two if you can fid a buddy that will split it with you.

Ok, that makes me feel better, may pick some up tomorrow. I have a friend that could probably use the other half.

Back