Betsy TJ6 Project

I am not an engineer, just an idiot on the internet. Now when I chopped the front and rear of my Tacoma off and built new frame sections for it, I plated it on the in and outside of the rail, avoided vertical welds on the fish plates, and tried to get as much weld length on the plates so they are very rounded and have a nice long taper to them. There's a gm frame splicing manual out there that I referenced, I believe the fish plates need to extend 1.5X the length of the vertical cut on each side. I also cut the factory frame into a fish mouth where the new frame section slipped in, again to get as much weld length as possible on there and avoid a vertical cut/weld. All my fish plates are way overkill at 3/16, but like you I don't want my truck to breaking in half lol.
Thanks for the info. I will increase the length of the fish plates to get the 1.5X and taper/round the ends.
 
Thanks for the info. I will increase the length of the fish plates to get the 1.5X and taper/round the ends.
I found the gm frame manual I was referencing: https://www.gmupfitter.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/2018_Chassis_BstPrac_09_24_2021.pdf

Here's an example of the new rear frame/plates on the tacoma, if you look at the back of the cab, then down at that body mount that's roughly where it splices into the factory frame, and you can see how I built the fish plates. I did something similar in the front. Again not an engineer, just an idiot in a 2car garage building stuff.
1000007481.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top