Big dookie Dodge *NEW PICS*

cheetoFTW

This is going to be a trial and error build, hopefully most of the error is over..... But that is highly doubtful.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I recently bought this very neglected pile from a very young, not so bright 19 year old. I got it for a what would normally be a steal,.......if it wasn't in such bad need of attention. It's a 2001 RAM 1500. 5.9 auto.

Unfortunately he had decided that the grill needed to be spray painted flat black and the rockers and bumpers should be covered in cheap rattle can bed liner. He had also decided that "upgrading" the headlights and "paint" were far more important than fixing any of the many mechanical issues.

First problem I found was the completely wore out stock track bar, typical.
Next I found a cross threaded bolt in the front driveshaft which promptly broke off as soon as I touched it.
When I removed the drive shaft I found about 7 inches of forward, backwards, side to side, up and down pay in the front pinion, Great!
Moving on to the rear to try to locate a small knocking noise I had heard. I found all of the u bolts on the rear axle were alarmingly loose. Yay! What a death trap.. The kid was daily driving this thing and thought everything was fine.

IMG_20160416_133017648.jpg

Big dookie

Last edited:
So I did what any person should on this situation..... I bought a Dana 60 for the front and a 70 for the rear. Got a great package deal on a set from a blown motor 2500 truck!

I ordered a rear shackle flip, and u bolt flip kit, some zero rates.
Found a killer deal on some 8 lug newer Cummins wheels. Craigslist for the win!

I repainted the grill!!!!!

IMG_20160416_164820510_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160416_171223082.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_20160420_083512257.jpg
IMG_20160420_190932244.jpg

Unfortunately I was sick with the flu for the last week so I haven't made much progress.

I did decide to build my own long arm setup, I took some measurements and had my buddy with a Cad plasma cutting table blast some frame brackets for me..... It's all about who you know! Lol

I used some existing holes to line things up. Gonna box in the frame hopefully tomorrow.
Here's what I got so far.
IMG_20160426_155809885.jpg
IMG_20160426_155814715.jpg

The truck already has a set of aftermarket upper and lower control arms on it. I'm going to take the bushings out of the short arms and use them in the long arms I fab up. ( because I'm a cheap bastard)

I've never done this before, let's see how bad I can F this up.

Last edited:
Sub'd.

Amazing what just painting the grill did for that truck! Looks a lot better. Less teenagery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you building a long arm 4 link or going to a radius arm style?

I was thinking about "y'ing" the uppers into the lowers. I've seen a few done this way. What is your opinion?

More pics from today. Got a few free minutes in.
IMG_20160427_193309444.jpg
IMG_20160427_193217660.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160427_193225191.jpg
    IMG_20160427_193225191.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
I was thinking about "y'ing" the uppers into the lowers. I've seen a few done this way. What is your opinion?

More pics from today. Got a few free minutes in.

The true 4 link is technically better. Many folks have built the radius arm style with great success. Some of the desert race kits have even been built like this with good success. For the ease of building and fitment, I would go the same way.

You might likely need to trim some bed supports for that shackle flip when using with a short bed. (from what I have read online).

The true 4 link is technically better. Many folks have built the radius arm style with great success. Some of the desert race kits have even been built like this with good success. For the ease of building and fitment, I would go the same way.

You might likely need to trim some bed supports for that shackle flip when using with a short bed. (from what I have read online).

Thanks for the input. My oldest son is sick today so no work for me:(

I got my measurements for my arms started on one last night.

I've always like that truck! Simple and effective!

Sounds like a similar recipe to mine. No need to trim anything for the shackle flip, did require zero rates to recenter the rear axle. I have an old school cepek long arm kit that did require trimming the front body mounts for clearance thoughView attachment 216591

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Dick Cepek kit was a true 4-link correct? I know you must clearance the body mount for them

Never again will I order ANYTHING from LOWRANGE .

I ordered Johnny joints early Thursday, I called this afternoon because I still haven't received and shipping information or tracking number. They said my order hasn't even been packaged yet and it would be at least another 4 days. I paid $22 for UPS ground shipping that said 3-4 days.... Not 7-8. They said I could upgrade the shipping another $30 and I would have my stuff in 3 more days. I said fuck that! I will see it when I see it and I will never order from LOWRANGE again.

Sucks about your joints man. I always order from Barnes 4WD. They have been great and are local(Western NC). I've had some of my orders as soon as the next day with standard fedex shipping(ordered first thing in the morning and it was shipped by noon).

Back