Bolting through a boxed frame

Down&Dirty

I had to move the drivetrain on my project back 8 inches to clear the front grill. The stock locations were bolted through the frame with three bolts. There were all tubed inside the frame to prevent crushing. How can I do this to the new locations? I thought that I could cut a hole to the OD of the tube where the bolt holes are on the outer frame rail. Then insert the tube and weld it into place. Follow this by welding 1/4 plate on the outside, but this will look like crap on a clean frame.

I was just thinking of reinforcment. Now the thought is to take some tube and cut it a little longer than the frame width. Drill the outside of the frame to the OD of the tube. Slide it in and weld it up. Still not as clean as I would like, but these are for the motor mounts so strength is my main concern.

When you weld anything to the frame remember this, you're typically dealing with 1/8" wall. you weld thicker stuff to it and if anything happens, you're gonna rip your frame before you mess up whtever you weld on. Which would you prefer? I'd rather screw up whatever I put on than screw up my frame.

as for Motor mounts and how to, I'll leave that to a little more seasoned vetrans to answer.

brent

Here's what i do.. drill to the outside of the tube dia, weld in the tube, and grind it smooth. When you bolt whatever is it together, it will hold the tube in there.

Making the tube slightly longer would let you have more weld holding it in on one side, but that's really nit picking, and you want the engine mount flush against the frame using friction to your advantage too. (the whole principle behind 90% of the high steer arms out there)

My Frame is the same way. I just drilled new holes and it was fine. But if you are worried do what Rich said.

Sleeve it. Like Rich said. I take and cut a 45 into the end of the sleeve then weld it. One ground, you've got a good weld and a nice flat surface to bolt to.

drill the inside dia all the way though the frame, then enlarge one hole to the outside diameter. hammer your sleeve in, cut it off flush, don't weld a thing!! use big washers

I think that you have to weld it. If you don't you aren't joining the two frame rails together. The welding doesn't worry me. I have already cut this frame to make it the length that I want it. This caused me to be forced to move the engine back to a new location. I am tempted to just weld the motor mounts solid, but the bolts are an easy fix. I am still debating the design. I have a few das until I can get my hands on the tube.

strange1 said:
drill the inside dia all the way though the frame, then enlarge one hole to the outside diameter. hammer your sleeve in, cut it off flush, don't weld a thing!! use big washers
See above -
This is how most of the bolt on lift manufacturers do it.
Yes mtr mts need to be strong, but not like suspension mtg points.
All you are really trying to do is keep from crushing the frame when you tighten the boltts.
This method will do that just fine.

Back