Brake Pedal Pushrod - Threaded Ball Stud

orange150

Does anyone know where to find a threaded ball stud (?) to use for a push rod? I've searched McMaster Carr as best I can but haven't come up with anything.

There is one company, Tallon Hydraulics, that carries exactly what I need, but I can't get in contact with them, and my google-fu found a post on another forum saying they couldn't get up with them either.

Pedal Pushrod.PNG

The universal kits won't work because they don't get short enough, I need roughly 2.5" from shank side of ball to center line of brake pedal mount.

This question is stemmed from the fact that
A) I can’t hold the pushrod I have strong enough to thread it with a die; it just spins in the vise I have and I’m scare I will ruin the ball. And,
B) I’ve already ruined one rod end from getting my die started at an odd angle and threading it crooked

24CD7AF5-1E79-4741-B4CA-5D8017585567.jpeg

Off the shelf bolt, cut to length and the head rounded with a bench grinder?
Good idea! I might try that tomorrow. I wonder if there is a reason it's a ball to give it that hold in the pull direction?

Just weld an allen set screw of whatever thread size and pitch to your current ball stud
Wish I had an available welder. I actually want a 110v buzz box to learn to TIG, but $$$

I can always machine one for you if need be, but it would be way cheaper to cobble something together as others have mentioned.
Depending on how this goes I might get up with you.

Wilwood makes a replacement universal kit with the ball
I think it's like $50

Welp. Gave up and took the original pushrod to Hamilton Machine and had it threaded in their lathe; I should have just done this a month ago.
My homemade ball end probably would have been fine, but I have a tendency to overthink things I’ve not done before.

D2A4659E-2A02-4879-A656-E38997FFEFAF.jpeg

I realllly want one of those 7x14 bench top lathes

I think you made the right choice. I think construction bolts are often grade 2. Use the right hardware or stronger. Breaking a link in your brake system is scary and could be deadly. I’ve been fortunate. I had an oem threaded arm from the master cylinder to brake pedal on my Jimmy break. Probably too many stalls on hills and mashing on brake pedal. Be safe and have more fun. :)

Back