Brake Wiring Question (s)

cyoung

Probably dumb ?'s but here goes.
I recently bought a 2004 Hudson w/brakes on both axles. PO cut brake wiring off at both axles on the driver's side. Can't say why. I'm trying to get it back into working order. I found the wiring diag on the Hudson site but the wire color codes don't seem to match what I have. On the driver's side at each wheel there are 2 cut wires. The wires appear to run from DS to PS through the axle. Tried to do a little testing to see what worked so at the front wheel, DS, I hooked a 12V source to one wire, then the other to see if brakes activated. Nothing happened. Tried again, now grounding one wire then the other. Nothing happened.
I'd appreciate any troubleshooting advice. How should this work?
Thanks,

Charles

I just rewired my 2000 Hudson trailer and found the wiring diagram on the hudson site to be junk. Mine has 2 braking axles as well.

Gimme a day and I'll go check it out and make a little diagram for ya.

The two wires going to each axles go to the electromagnet. One wire must be grounded and the other needs to have voltage applied to activate the brake. On my trailer the two wires were (red/blk). I chose to ground the blk and apply voltage on the red. It should work either way though technically. The blue wire at the plug is the trailer brake wire. If you want to wire in your break-away switch then the hudson wiring will help or just let me know.

And yes, the wires run through the axle tube on my trailer.

hudsonbrks.jpg

Back