Building a garage ?

Johnson

Has anyone bought a package garage kit from Builders Discount? And if so did you like it? I am looking to build a 24x32 nice but cheap. I am going to build it just need good price on package. Price is $4,200.00 which is everything but the foundation.

I just built a 20X20 package storage building from them, which is the same thing as the garage exept it comes with a floor. I just finished it up last weekend. I did alot of upgrades to the package, like 2x8 flooring instead of 2x6, 16'' on center rather than 24'', 3/4 t&g plywood floring instead of OSB, plywood roofing instead of osb, and upgraded to 5/8'' T111 siding instead of the 3/8''. The upgrades are cheap to do so I would talk to them and see what they recommended. I bought my kit from the one in graham and they were very helpful. The lumber isn't the best but it wasn't any worse than what you usually get at lowes or home depot. The blueprints aren't very helpful but a little common sense or a buddy thats good at carpentry will help out alot. Overall I don't think you can go wrong with a kit from them. It's cheaper than anywhere else I've found. Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Me, too.

I just built a 20X20 package storage building from them..... The blueprints aren't very helpful but a little common sense or a buddy thats good at carpentry will help out alot

I bought and built a 12x16 storage building from them. I seem to recall that all the materials weren't the best grade. i.e. the world's cheapest shingles, as mentioned above, OSB flooring. It was about 10 years ago so my memory is hazy. I didn't upgrade anything and the building was fine. They claimed to come with plans but they were a joke. Then again, you don't really need a lot of plans for a simple building.

My advice would be to go down and get their BOM list, and then go check out the materials that come with the package.

I get their fliers and have been tempted to go for one of their garage kits myself. Being a bolt on sort of guy I don't need the fab space but a backyard pool hall would be nice.

Helped my dad build a garage ~15 years ago. He just got the plans and bought his own supplies. His was a 30x30 with 10x30 storage upstairs. He was able to get the quality of materials that he wanted (way overboard in my opinion) get the concrete poured (plus a few extra yards to make the driveway super awesome), siding and shingles to match the house. He went way overboard and spent 18k total..... but the appraiser said that it was about a 40k upgrade on the property value. Bought house in 1988 for 118k, sold in 98 for ~160k (original builder went bankrupt, new builder put smaller houses into the neighborhood in 95 lowering property value in the hood about 15%) (EDIT- also included the mexicans he hired to put the shingles on high slope roof, after I fell off the two-story roof, thank God I was wearing a harness)

Just make sure you get the permits and inspections in you are in wake county, and make sure that if your city needs permits you get them too. Fawkers are looking for anything to fine you for. Drove through my neighbor hood and saw the "new" AC unit that was installed over a year ago. Checked to see if permits were pulled. Now it has to be redone with permits (so much for doing it yourself with a licensed helper who doesn't mention needing permits)

I had them fax me the BOM and blueprints before I ever went there. Have them band all of your lumber together after they get it all together and this will keep it from warping until you're ready to build. The lumber I recieved was pretty decent, the shingles were cheap looking but have a 25 year warranty. I wanted to do a garage package but concrete is EXPENSIVE!

sounds good thanks for all the info. I am going to alk to them soon and will defintly look into some of the samll upgrades. My main thing is to look nice may upgrade the doors and also make sure it hold the crawler since this is the purpose of the build. Thnaks for the info again keep it coming and I will post after I purchase a building.

I looked at BDC, but I was able to get similar pricing through Builders Mart in Eden NC which isnt too far from you . There lumber is awesome which makes for easier framing . And their service is great .
Builders Mart Inc (336) 623-3194
ai386.photobucket.com_albums_oo305_sammi_davis2_100_0627.jpg

This is what I ended up with and I have right at 20k total in it including 90% of the labor . With the market being down I got a great carpenter for $3 sf and a good crete guy for $1 sf . I could work my regular job and make more than I would save so I subbed out most of it .
I still have some stonework and driveways to do , but it is close now on the outside . I am waiting on Duke power to upgrade my house to 400 amps so my buddy Will can fire up the garage on its own 200 amp panel . After the wiring is done I am subbing out the insulation @ $850 complete and the drywall is up in the air .
If you have any questions feel free to ask as I did a lot of research before I built .

We are pouring cocrete in the morning but here's what I'm having built

24' x 30' Metal garage. Fully engineered (thicker metals and WAY more trussing than avg) on a 4" thick smooth slab with 18" footers. 10x10 roll up door, 1 36" man door, no windows.... and water sealing all around.

TOTAL PRICE START TO FINISH IS $10 grand. That meets all Permit Requirements for NC. 110mph wind too!

also- sammi davis' garage is gonna be WAY more comfy than mine.

nothing radiates cold like a metal building LOL

I though you could walk into to some of the box stores and have them quote you a package.

Doesn't Stock Building Supply do quotes on building packages?

We are pouring cocrete in the morning but here's what I'm having built
24' x 30' Metal garage. Fully engineered (thicker metals and WAY more trussing than avg) on a 4" thick smooth slab with 18" footers. 10x10 roll up door, 1 36" man door, no windows.... and water sealing all around.
TOTAL PRICE START TO FINISH IS $10 grand. That meets all Permit Requirements for NC. 110mph wind too!
who's your metal building through?

If you want metal building, let me know, we are a Nucor dealer and make our own metal siding :D

I'll put you in touch with our metal building guru

I though you could walk into to some of the box stores and have them quote you a package.
Doesn't Stock Building Supply do quotes on building packages?

Lowes put together a bid for my garage and even with a 10% coupon I came out better at Builders Mart . BM was was over $1000 cheaper than Lowes . I did have to buy my shingles at Lowes to get a match and they dropped $7 a bundle on the shingles for me with a free roofside delivery .

Hey everyone...
I live down in Swansboro, 30 min east of Jacksonville and I'm looking in to building a garage.... Got a quote from Builders discount in New Bern for ~$4600 for a 24x32 t-111 sided garage. I know the thread is old but has good information. Hoping someone has built a garage that was deciding to years ago and could shine some light on my project. Cost is key at this point, but i dont want to be sorry in a few years because of the quality.

Thanks in advance!

I've decided mine will be a metal building. Heritage Buildings has some good prices. Really not sure who around here I would get the stuff from to build something like what you want though. A few local guys and a handful of friends are contractors, but I could probably find cheaper prices elsewhere.

4600 probably isn't bad, but how much is cement?

Hey everyone...
I live down in Swansboro, 30 min east of Jacksonville and I'm looking in to building a garage.... Got a quote from Builders discount in New Bern for ~$4600 for a 24x32 t-111 sided garage. I know the thread is old but has good information. Hoping someone has built a garage that was deciding to years ago and could shine some light on my project. Cost is key at this point, but i dont want to be sorry in a few years because of the quality.

Thanks in advance!

Don't buy from Builders Discount. You can't choose your own wood, so, they will give you the shittiest (is that a word lol) lumber you have ever seen.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

buddy of mine is having one built right now, 24x30 metal, with two roll up doors, and one walk in door, he is having it built as farm storage building/shelter, so no permits, but Diamond Outdoors of the Carolinas, located in denton is doing it all including concrete for 6 grand, I thought this was reasonable.

You guys down in the east need a GC? :D

Really, metal buildings are pretty easy and go up really quick and last forever. But, done wrong they can be a nightmare. $6,000 isn't bad for a garage, but thats like saying someone paid $6,000 for a car. There is pricing differences depending on what all you get. If you get steel, concrete, and just a roof, $6,000 is not as good of a deal than if you got walls, roll up doors, insulation, gutters, doors, windows, lights, etc.

You guys down in the east need a GC? :D

Really, metal buildings are pretty easy and go up really quick and last forever. But, done wrong they can be a nightmare. $6,000 isn't bad for a garage, but thats like saying someone paid $6,000 for a car. There is pricing differences depending on what all you get. If you get steel, concrete, and just a roof, $6,000 is not as good of a deal than if you got walls, roll up doors, insulation, gutters, doors, windows, lights, etc.
haha I did'nt ask him about walls!!! he just said two 9 foot doors and a 36" walk in,on a concrete pad, that would suck to not have walls!!!!

I'm in the early stages of building a 34x40x13 on my property. My goal is $10k, but my current estimates put it around $14k unless I can find a way to save a couple grand. Thats still $10 a square foot, which is darn cheap. The biggest driver of the cost is the concrete. Since I'm an engineer, well, this will explain alot:
34x40 Building.jpg

Still a lot to be figured out, but I'm making consistent progress. The site is cleared and the concrete guy will be forming and pouring next week (if it ever stops raining).

Back