Buying a trailer w/ no title

I would also say proof of owning it. So many utility trailers are bought in SC and have a certificate of origin or bill of sale but are never titled because they don't need tags. Then the COO gets lost, etc.

We've pulled car trailers all over the south east with no tag or title. Several bought used and never had any documentation. My latest "forever trailer" I titled, permanent tagged, and insured.

What prompts that? If you are not putting a tag on it, why would you title it?
I title every trailer I own just in case its stolen. I think it cost $16 or some ish.
Also my insurance wont insure a trailer unless its titled in my name.

Bumping this back up since it seems to be the most recent out-of-state-no-title-trailer-coming-to-NC thread. I found an SC trailer I want. Seller does not have title because SC. Bill of Sale comes with it, VIN is clean. Simplest thing seems like buying and using it (it's a little 12ft long single axle trailer), but whats the current process if I want a title? Bonded title? Fake homebuilt trailer?

As long as it isn't stolen, don't worry about it you'll never have a problem.

All I gotta say is the DMV can be real asses about trailer and titles for them. Boat I bought came from Tennessee with trailer naturally. They wanted a separate bill of sale for trail got guy to mail me one. I have all paperwork from when boat and trailer was new. The original buyer was from Tennessee but bought it in NC that has caused problems. Hell I have the origin of manufacturer paperwork and still can't get it tagged. I've said screw it I'll pay the ticket haven't got pulled in 3 years for it

All I gotta say is the DMV can be real asses about trailer and titles for them. Boat I bought came from Tennessee with trailer naturally. They wanted a separate bill of sale for trail got guy to mail me one. I have all paperwork from when boat and trailer was new. The original buyer was from Tennessee but bought it in NC that has caused problems. Hell I have the origin of manufacturer paperwork and still can't get it tagged. I've said screw it I'll pay the ticket haven't got pulled in 3 years for it
I had a boat w/trailer. Bought it when I was in Texas with Louisiana title and registration. I had it titled and registered in my name in Texas. Then I moved to NC, had it titled and registered in my name. Then years later I sold it to someone in Virginia. He calls me weeks later to tell me that Virginia would not title/register the trailer because the VIN came up stolen in NJ. I send him all my copies of the paperwork. He figures out that the Louisiana title was off a digit (not matching the trailer) and the mistake was carried over two times when I re-titled and registered. So he is screwed and I guess I got lucky since that VIN must have gotten stolen after I moved to NC so it never flagged. I felt bad for the guy but there was nothing I could do.

Back