Calling all Toyota transmission Gurus!

skyhighZJ

Thanks for your taxes
gasket figured out.
Edit: title change to address a new issue.
issue:
I have. W56D model trans (forward shift)
I have a forward shift tcase
when I try to mate the 2 I have about a 1/2” gap that is being caused by the tcase shift levers hitting the internal casting on the trans. See pics below and ask questions so I can try and explain better if need be. Thing is, all the research I have done says forward shift is all the same across the board so this shouldn’t be an issue.

back of trans
80DB6933-BFB2-420D-A7E6-5B2C7261CDA1.jpeg
f

3749A4E8-B217-42BA-B6DA-BA9B083FFCAA.jpeg

back of trans where the shift levers are hitting (small milled indent)
FC2BD87E-75B4-4E29-B533-991A82514B34.jpeg
The gap
A069D4A8-B431-41D4-895B-84630EBC1911.jpeg
the contact
8F9E29EC-B458-4532-AE20-6446A30AE694.jpeg

Attachments

• 73F86B87-A1C1-4D58-A03F-9D618C54A254.jpeg
    73F86B87-A1C1-4D58-A03F-9D618C54A254.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
White claw case

I used RTV

I have a trans stored at home but it will be tomorrow before i can go look at it. I believe the transmissions that had forward shifts attached had that part of the webbing either machined or or wasn't cast in.

did you have the tcase apart at one point? is there a chance the shift forks are installed backwards on the shift rails? from what i remember, the shift forks are asymmetric with respect to the roll pin location

did you have the tcase apart at one point? is there a chance the shift forks are installed backwards on the shift rails? from what i remember, the shift forks are asymmetric with respect to the roll pin location
I have never had the case apart however that doesn’t mean it hasn’t been. I got it used from @rcalexander105 in a trade deal so he may know the history but it has literally been on the garage floor since I received it (assuming it was a good fit) and now it’s being a pia

Well shit. Now I’m really confused. I don’t see why it won’t sit without hitting that spot. I guess I need to find a different forward shift tcase and measure the shift lever stick out and see if the one I have is different??

I have never had the case apart however that doesn’t mean it hasn’t been. I got it used from @rcalexander105 in a trade deal so he may know the history but it has literally been on the garage floor since I received it (assuming it was a good fit) and now it’s being a pia
I picked it up from @specialtoy

I ran into this years ago when I was into yotas I think I just cut them off and used a top shift or maybe I swapped shift rails I can’t remember lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@DannyH may have some insight. He's helped me with mine before and knows yotas pretty good.

@DannyH may have some insight. He's helped me with mine before and knows yotas pretty good.

We already talked about my solution, it’s an oddball trans. But like josh said, worst case convert to top shift and cap the hole..

^this. And if I wasnt such a turd I would have made it up to see @DannyH this weekend but things around the farm have been a nightmare with all this rain and crap weather.

All good man! No worries at all. I need to check and see if [mention]ProbablyBroke [/mention]’s transmission is a top shift or forward shift, you might be able to sweet talk him into a deal if it’s the right one.

I had this same issue with an 86 pickup I had. Ended up trading my tcase for the one that matched the transmission but have seen some guys cut down the shift forks. Seems like you have a plan.

All good man! No worries at all. I need to check and see if [mention]ProbablyBroke [/mention]’s transmission is a top shift or forward shift, you might be able to sweet talk him into a deal if it’s the right one.

So the funny part is, to bring this full circle, I bought this trans from @ProbablyBroke like 3 yrs ago when I was back here in NC visiting friends while I was stationed in Louisiana. The trans went with me, sat in the shed in La. and is now back in NC lol.

So the funny part is, to bring this full circle, I bought this trans from @ProbablyBroke like 3 yrs ago when I was back here in NC visiting friends while I was stationed in Louisiana. The trans went with me, sat in the shed in La. and is now back in NC lol.

Probably need to get that guy for false advertisement! Selling you a wanna be W56...

Bumping this back up to see if anybody may have a forward shift case sitting around that could get measurements of the shift lever stick out/ protrusion from the mating surface of the tcase so I could compare to mine. @DannyH @ProbablyBroke or anyone else with Toyota parts laying around?? Tag anyone you can think of please would like to figure this out!

Back