camping at uwharrie question

98zjstroker

well i went down on the 16th for a weekend of camping and sadly had to cut it short due to me finding out my tent was not water proof when it rained last night (everything in my tent got soaked.......... before that i took my zj down 576 past deep water trail camp all the way to the lake and found people camping there. it looked real nice and its a plus to be right there at the water. there were alot of people so we just went to where i normally camp further up 576. what i was wondering was is that still a part of deep water trail camp or something different and is there a fee for camping there....if so how much?

Not too sure where you are talking about, but the only places you have to pay for are where there are Hosts around. Except for the overflow horse camps, and i am not too sure how they work. The 3 places to pay (minus the horse places ) are Group Camp, Badin Lake both upper / lower loops, and Arrowhead.

look at the bottom left corner....thats the area where i was talking about that i drove too where i saw the other campers. it looked like a popular place.
ai377.photobucket.com_albums_oo216_emils240sx_3771005.png

my very first trip to UNF was back in 2004.I was hunting a place to camp and was pointed to the same area you went to. As soon as I crested the hill,on my left was a huge tent with (what I call) the first national redneck flag flying loud and proud and a 10 year old boy standing waist deep shooting floating beer cans with a bb gun. On my right was another tent up in the bushes and the couple standing there talked to me for about 5 minutes. Now,I don't know if they had any clothes on.Seemed like the leaves and branches kind of hid the important areas.I thought better of the place and found another campsite that was not as busy. I would think it might get a little "Lawless" down there could get to feeling like the Lone Ranger with out Tonto backing yo ass up real quick.

thats funny. ya i dont think that would be good with my 3 year old daughter to see. when i went to the left looked almost like an empty field with no one there. to the right in the bushes were several trucks. it looked like it was a big group. didnt really go in to close. wasnt trying to be rude especailly since it was like 11pm. but the place looked great and was going to see next time i go in a decent size group about stopping there first to see if its empty. besides that last turn off was kinda a fun drive since there was no road maintance.

wow. that looks like a long drive! i no from 109 to the shooting range is about 15 minutes. how long did it take you to get all the way out there? looks like at least 30 minutes from the trails. u make me want to explore uwharrie more. next time i go i will check out where you are talking about and past the bottom of daniel.

i use to camp out there all the time, it was nice and quiet, i would take my jetski and have the whole lake to myself. if i remember right it is 10miles down from the entrance off 109.

its not far at all and there is some good places to camp right off the road. maybe ill get lucky next time and get there before anyone else does.

wow. that looks like a long drive! i no from 109 to the shooting range is about 15 minutes. how long did it take you to get all the way out there? looks like at least 30 minutes from the trails. u make me want to explore uwharrie more. next time i go i will check out where you are talking about and past the bottom of daniel.

It's about 15-20 from shooting range in slow Yota. It goes all the down to the water but I wouldn't go down there again just because it's to far and theres plenty of "hidden" spots off the roads and trails you just have to know where to look.

i normally go to one of the spots off the road its just still a little bit of a walk to the water....which i wouldnt mind except if i dont like leaving all my stuff unatended. not saying people would just come and take it but it could happen and i dont want to come back to my campsite and find a surprise. dont really mind the drive especially when not to much trafic goes down that far and the road to the lake itself is unmaintained so i dont see a bunch of people trying to get there

Back