Can't diagnose a strange noise...

BadMagoo

I've had a 2000 Wrangler TJ Sport (stock) for about 1.5 years and it has a strange intermittent noise coming from what seems like the axles. A high pitch squeal that comes and goes is driving me crazy. All my fluid levels are in check, so its not anything basic. It tends to happen the most when I'm pulling out of a parking lot after the jeep has been sitting there for a number of hours. After I get up to about 30mph, the sound goes away....or maybe I just can't year it because of the general noise of the road. I would just take it to a shop to get it checked out, but right now I'm too busy and broke. And obviously I'm not very knowledgeable about auto mechanics just yet. If anyone can give me an idea like where to lube something or any idea I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

The easiest thing to do would be to check your lug nuts and grease all your fittings up front. Lug nuts can make some crazy noises when they're not tight enough. You didnt say whether it was coming from the front or rear, so that's all I got.

Liek they say, a stitch in time.... You may want to at least get it looked at. It might be somehign as bad as gears or as simple as checking the brakes... What might cost in the diag will save you an expensive fix if something grenades....

Back