Can't Find the Leak Aw4 only fluid

49erRider

Ok I searched and couldn't really find any of the same symptoms I'm seeing and I can't find the leak.

Anyways in a 2000xj I just did a 4x4 conversion so new trans/case.

I've been leaking some transmission fluid since the swap. At first it was the cooler lines but I swapped out the fittings and that went away. Next I noticed my cross-member would be wet from trans fluid all across the bottom of it. I cleaned it up thinking it was still from the cooler lines earlier and it would get "wet" again.

Today I pulled the cross-member to take a look and I still can not find a spot that looks soaked or like its leaking other than where the case mounts to the cross-member. Everything involving that was wet. I also noticed a "drip" on the shift linkage on the case. I took plenty of pictures so please please please throw some ideas at me.

Cross member out you can see the fluid buildup is where the mount meets the cross-member.
ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p252_49erRider_43b55931.jpg

Underside of mount the part that connects to the 4 studs. You can see the fluid on it.
ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p252_49erRider_39104d82.jpg

You can see the build-up where the mount meets the case.
ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p252_49erRider_92f01702.jpg

Right Side
ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p252_49erRider_7d8247f7.jpg

Left Side
ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p252_49erRider_f02a83c6.jpg

Shift Linkage with a small drip
ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p252_49erRider_7072746d.jpg

Don't see any leakage where the trans and case meet: Left Side
ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p252_49erRider_73e09132.jpg

Right Side
ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p252_49erRider_20c80603.jpg

Thanks for the help! 2000xj recent 4x4 swap

that drip on the shift linkage is odd.
Are you sure its the AW4 leaking, and not the t-case? a 231tc would use Dexron III like the Aw4, not sure about the np242.
I just swapped 4.0L/AW4. I dropped the tcase first, then pulled the tranny/engine out the front. It surprised me when tranny fluid gushed out the back, I guess the tcase input shaft slides in a seal on the AW4. I didnt look closely though. Maybe your seal is bad there.

Yah I guess I'm not sure its the AW4 and its looking more like it isn't. I just can't find a "source" spot like I usually can. Guess I"m going to have to pull the case and replace some seals.

Ok,

Got everything cleaned off really well this morning put that sucker back together took it for a 5 minute test drive and came home to this:

ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p252_49erRider_6545d747.jpg

Which has me believe it is either the rear output of the trans or the front case seal right?

I'm leaning towards Rear output of trans just because the fluid was pretty bright red and the stuff in the transmission is new.

What do you think?

Idk. My aw4 was barfing fluid two weeks ago. Sent my jeep to a trans guy and told me on top of the tranny there is a valve that leaks when the tranny gets to hot. Mine got hot no doubt about it and ruined a seal, but it was fixed quickly. Installed a tranny cooler and runs great. BTW all of my fluid was dripping off the bellhouse and running back.

Im not sure ethier there's so many variables. But I just wanted to say I just did a fluid change on my AW4 and used a Bottel of that Lucas Stop slip for Transmisons and It did wonders for keeping the heat down and has made a real Difference in shifting. Just FYI

did you change the rear main output seal of the tranny? if that seal is bad when you mate the tranny and tcase it will leak down and spray everywhere

just saw the pic you posted. yes that is either the rear output seal or the input seal of the tcase. id put the bet on the rear output seal.

They were already mated together when I got them. I wish I would have done this while they were out but oh well.

So any steps on how to swap it? Pull case, pull seal, put new one in?

thats basically it. since you only have the crossmember you should be able to remove the driveshaft, remove the nuts mating the tranny and tcase (6 i believe), disconnect the shifter linkage, 4wd indicator connector, speedo connector, and vent and it should simply slide out.

thats basically it. since you only have the crossmember you should be able to remove the driveshaft, remove the nuts mating the tranny and tcase (6 i believe), disconnect the shifter linkage, 4wd indicator connector, speedo connector, and vent and it should simply slide out.

yes it is 6 nuts. 3-4 of them are near impossible to get off from below. I got them from above, took the center console and tranny shifter out, and loosened up the t-case shifter.

I never have seen a rear seal on the aw4 4x4 transmission... I thought there was usually just a gasket/silicone between the trans/tcase.. Felt gasket material is cool for this.

Does anyone know if there is one or two seals between the two?

There is a seal in the front of the t-case, but like I said, every AW4 i've detached had silicone/gasket between the AW4 and the Tcase. I can see clean back to the bearing inside. There is a rear shaft output seal on the Tcase though. Also AX15 was the same way, could see gears in it. So were a few other vehicles.. Ford A4LD..

there is a rear output shaft seal of the tranny and a front input shaft seal of the tcase. i wouldn't worry about the tcase as it is VERY rare they leak. as far as the rtv or gasket maker trick its just a cheap way to attempt to stop any leaks... only works for a short amount of time. and then it gets messy very quickly. if you take the cross member loose and support it with the jack then you can drop the tranny and tcase to gain access... or if your small like me then you can fit a ratcheting wrench in there. that's all i needed to do.

yes it is 6 nuts. 3-4 of them are near impossible to get off from below. I got them from above, took the center console and tranny shifter out, and loosened up the t-case shifter.

I'm surprised no one called me out on this. Getting all 6 from below isnt that bad, I just did it. I didnt feel like removing the center console, shifter, etc, so I gave it a try. 1/4" drive 9/16" socket with a couple different extensions, and a stubby flexhead gearwrench made it do-able.

Also makes it alot easier it you remove the 4 bolts and lower the crossmember down.

I'm surprised no one called me out on this. Getting all 6 from below isnt that bad, I just did it. I didnt feel like removing the center console, shifter, etc, so I gave it a try. 1/4" drive 9/16" socket with a couple different extensions, and a stubby flexhead gearwrench made it do-able.

flex gear wrench FTW. There is only really two that are hard, and those are in the shifter bracket.

Back