Car Not Starting!!!! Any help out there??

JonBoy

OK thanks for any help but I have a 86 Camry that I have had for about 3 years.(extra car) I have not had many problems with it. Replaced Timing Belt and distributor over 2 years ago. Anyway I left it at work in september and it sat there until early December when I found out it would not start. In December I turned it over it ran for about 1-2 seconds and has not done a thing since. It turns over fine but Its a No Go. I unhooked the fuel line and turned the key and fuel came out. (unsure if its just low pressure though) I also took a plug out and turned the car over and I could see a spark. Also I have sprayed starting starting fluid into the TBI (LIKE THING) its not a TBI but not sure if any of it made it into the injectors or even if anything like that would work. I also sprayed some in where the spark plug goes and screwed it in as fast as I can and tryed to start, Nothing changed. Any Clues out there. Thinking possible blocked fuel injectors, weak fuel pump, Among many other things.

Those used to like to blow holes in the coils right by the stator in the distribitor. Take the cap and rotor off, grab a flashlight and look very closly at the coil body near the stator (4 pointed star thingy under the rotor on the shaft) and see of you see and carbon tracking or holes. If you do, odds are theres the problem. Coils are a easy replacement.

Gotta have 3 things to start any car. Fuel, air and spark. Then it all has to be timed right. You got air for sure, fuel maybe and spark yes. Try the starting fluid again in one of the vacuum ports right at the throttle body, (I'm assuming it's EFI) Just after the throttle plate. If it still won't start, It could be a distributer problem. We had a nissan sentra do just what your were discribing. It had good spark, just not at the right time. Had to replace the whole distributer. Just mark where the bolts are in the slides to aid in timing it if you remove it. Hope this helps.

When I replaced the timming belt I screwed up the cover and never put one back on so I will check the timming next to see if some how it jumped a knotch or something but the belt is tight and it has ran for 2 years like that. Before leaving it sit in sept I did run it atleast once a week before that. Also a time or two when I put the gas in the plug hole and tryed it when I pulled it out there was smoke(kinda) comming out of the hole after I pulled the plug.

Well, I need the cover to line up the timming but I eyeballed it from the picture and it did start rough as could be and shortly died. Is there anything else that could be causeing me problems or would you agree that I have a 100% timming issue.

Thanks everyone, It was the timming got it changed after work today. I stopped during lunch and messed with it some. Anyway I am kinda wanting to keep the ugly thing again. I was to the point to where I figured $50 on ebay would be good enought. Now fixed and running its prob only worth about $400 and I am not sure I want to get rid of it for that cheap. Anyway this one is still strange to me I am not sure how the timming could have gotten off.

Was it the belt or the distributer out of adjustment? Glad it's running again!

I had to adjust both, Adjustment of the distributor I dont think is enought of a difference to keep it from running. My guess is after sitting for so long something was binded or rust/frozen in place and it jumped a knotch when it first turned over.

Back