cb radio signal

98tj

So I just put in a cb radio. How do I know that I'm getting a signal - I'm near I-40 should I be hearing something on a certain channel? the emergency channel 9?
Also how important is using a SWR meter, anyone near Southpoint mall in Durham have one?

98tj said:
So I just put in a cb radio. How do I know that I'm getting a signal - I'm near I-40 should I be hearing something on a certain channel? the emergency channel 9?
Also how important is using a SWR meter, anyone near Southpoint mall in Durham have one?

if you don't tune it with a SWR meter and you transmit, you take a chance on damaging the internals of the CB...

Greg

get near the interstate and put it on channel 19 and say "Drivers...can I get a radio check". Usually a truck driver will come back with something!

You definately want to get it adjusted. You will burn the radio up if not adjusted properly. Radio Shack has cheap SWR meters that come with instructions on how to do it. Then ask for a radio check.

x3 on the SWR meter. My dad drove a truck for years and for every truck he switched to we always used an SWR meter first before trying to communicate with others. You will burn up the internals if your SWR is way to high and you have no idea and have not set it up properly to bring them back down to a safe level. I learned this the hard way even though I knew better and should've used a SWR meter to test first. Needless to say $110 CB completely toast.

Back