Changes to Fall Dam

retroedaddy

Infidel
Anyone been on Falls Dam recently?They have bulldozed pretty much every obstacle and even got rid of the Little Ledges near the mudbowl.We were on it this weekend and it's almost just a dirt road now.

WTF!? That sucks. It was already an easy trail. It was finally starting to get a couple of good spots.

Yeah this was the inevitable. Don't be surprised if by the time they are done it is a dirt road (minus maybe the soupbowl). Many know Falls Dam used to be a bunny trail like Wolfs Den. Over the year Falls Dam was let go, and has greatly increased in difficulty (compared to where it was in maybe 04). All the bypasses stocker rigs were creating (that we have been putting guard railing up to block during work days) was evidence of this.

So to return Falls Dam to its more stocker friendly status they are and have done a lot of work to it. Well let me rephrase that, stock rig with inexperienced operator friendly status. Because a stock rig can traverse Falls Dam no problem with the right driver. Besides the fact there were some saftey issues in a couple areas that had to be addressed.

Yeah it sucks, but it is what the higher ups at Asheville have decided. They surveyed the trails and this is what they said had to be done to keep the trails up to par. I don't think I have to mention they are trying to prevent another Tellico. Granted Falls Dam is nothing like most the trails at Tellico but this is what you keep hearing. Just give it a couple rain storms and good amount of tire spin and things will be back to the way they were in MOST areas. Because you know the don't tamp/compact what they fill in usually.

I was almost shocked at the difference in the trail across two weeks. I understand that Falls Dam is now on the other end of the scale from Daniel, as it is supposed to be.
See post of additional comments on difficulty of Daniel thread.

Just give it a couple rain storms and good amount of tire spin and things will be back to the way they were in MOST areas. Because you know the don't tamp/compact what they fill in usually.
Maybe it will be better at the end of this week after all the rain.

Back