Cheap projector suggestions for "home theater"

RatLabGuy

You look like a monkey and smell like one too
I've seen this discussed a few times, but can't seem to find it.
I'm thinking of switching to a projector for TV in our den
It's the classic "finished basement" room, completely below grade... and has 2 independent rows of adjustable-intensity overhead lights, so this is an ideal scenerio.
The projection throw isn't far (max 12' width of room), and I'm not interested in spending a bundle on the project, (right now anyway) not an avid movie guy.
So the point is, I'm wondering if anybody has a suggestion/experience on a relatively inexpensive unit to fit the bill - and what features should I be looking out for. Is 800x600 native really enough, or does it really look crappy unless at 1024x768? Can the native scalers be trusted to do 720p or 1080i etc w/ good picture, or is it better to use a seperate unit for this? I think my current DVD tops at 480i anyway, lol.
I'm getting digital cable this week, what format do the TWC-based HD digital receivers put out at if I decide to go that route?

I could give you an earful about projectors, but as with anything else it really depends on how much you want to spend. What kind of price range do you have to play with?

i'm thinking $500-700 or so for the projector, less is always good. Don't even have that in hand for it right now, I'm getting a feel for the goal I should set myself, depending on how good Santa is to me...

While i'm thinking of it - if I get a native 16:9 model, am I correct in that it wil lalways have the annoying black lines on the sides when watching regular TV? Seems that would get old, fast.

While i'm thinking of it - if I get a native 16:9 model, am I correct in that it wil lalways have the annoying black lines on the sides when watching regular TV? Seems that would get old, fast.

i don't know the answer, but i don't think it would be any more annoying than the plastic frame around your current tv screen...seems like you'd be focusing on the picture, and the black on the sides you would get used to real fast.

Man, you should be watching woot.com! They just sold a pretty sweet projector for $399, brand new. They put one up on the block every two or three months, though. Incredible deals there sometimes.
Actually, it was just Monday! Linky!

IMO, you'd be better off getting a big RPTV for the time being at that price range. The picture will be better.

TWC HD puts out mostly 720p on the channels.. I set mine to have all the HD being upconverted in the box to 1080i though.

Man, you should be watching woot.com! They just sold a pretty sweet projector for $399, brand new. They put one up on the block every two or three months, though. Incredible deals there sometimes.
Actually, it was just Monday! Linky!

That is a POS...I woulnt make my kid watch SpongeBob that thing.

w00t does have some good deals...and some crapy ones...just gotta watch em.

Projectors have a much wider range in pic quality than any other solution.

A low end projector, will look worse than an 80s consle tv...today...
A (ultra?)high end projector can deliver the best picture quality on the market.

Installation and setup are CRUCIAL on projector...
Your throw range can greatly limit your choices, find out exactly where you can get wires, and the exact distance from mount to screen, and go from there.

Being a basemenet wiring may not be a huge issue (drop ceiling?)

That is a POS...I woulnt make my kid watch SpongeBob that thing.
w00t does have some good deals...and some crapy ones...just gotta watch em.
Projectors have a much wider range in pic quality than any other solution.
A low end projector, will look worse than an 80s consle tv...today...
A (ultra?)high end projector can deliver the best picture quality on the market.
Installation and setup are CRUCIAL on projector...
Your throw range can greatly limit your choices, find out exactly where you can get wires, and the exact distance from mount to screen, and go from there.
Being a basemenet wiring may not be a huge issue (drop ceiling?)

i'm curious. I see that this unit is rated at only 900 lumens... but what else here suggests it's a POS? Contrast ratio looks good, decent resolution, all the HD formats...inform me, please.

i'd think that even 900-1000 lumens would be fien for me, since I can easily control ambient light.
One of the reasons for the route is that, as mentioned, the room is only 12' wide (although 20' long). A TV w/ much depth to it (like our 27" Sony CRT, or an RPTV) really sticks out into the room and forces you close to it. i liek the idea of it being flush with the wall.
i will most likely mount it on teh ceiling and up against the opposit wall. The ceiling is kind of low (7') so I don't want it out in the middle. Not worried about wiring - I built the room :)beer: ) and already ran a snoload of wire etc. Plus the "outide" of the wlla its against in the unfinished part of the basement so getting wire behind it will not be bad.

What makes it a POS?

I would probably need an enginner to explain...I really am not sure. My comment is based on personal experience with that exact infocus product.

I have installed 5, and have removed 2 because they were unacceptable to my customers, I was ot ahppy with the othrs and offered other products, but the customer was happy.....they were very helpful and seemingly knowledgable in tech support and even 100% refunded my money on an open box item...which speak VOLUMES for customer service. But the pic quality just aint there.

I guess if I had to answer your question, I would theorize that it doesnt deliver its promised specifications...

Cheap hardware is cheap for a reason.

Back