chevy 6.5 turbodiesel any good?

Tacoma747

Looking at a suburban with a 6.5 diesel, and heavy duty suspension, but everything I know about (not much) diesels, I always thought the chevy 6.5's were not that great on power, what about reliabilty?

Think it is a 1995, 6.5 with auto tranny, 180K miles. Any suggestions about them, or should I stay away at all costs?

Thanks

If you have made it to 180k it should be all right. most of the problems with that motor happen in the 1st 100k

the biggest question you should be asking is, HAs the injection pump been replaced? if so when ? the biggest problems with those engines are the "fuel solinoid driver" aks FSD or PMD "pump mounted driver" and the injection pump itself. new injection pump is in the $1600 range + labor (you truck is out of the extended warranty coverage)

Ask if the "lift pump" has been replaced and when, and when the last time the fuel filter was changed. then if you by the truck replace both of those soon after unless they have been done recently.

Also if you do buy the truck, buy a spare PMD soon after, it's not a matter of IF it'll die, it's WHEN.

Unless it's real cheap, I'd pass. I don't know about reliability, but power wise these are turds. I have a dodge and I have been a diehard chevy fan for years. If you want a deisel, hold out for a cummings/ps/dm.

I have the 6.5 in my 1995 2500. It will tow my jeep up to 80mph. The tranny is my main concern. I take it easy in the mountains, but once again that is transmission related. The fuel problem that everyone talks about is usually not the $1600 lift pump, but the solid state driver circuit that controls it. I bought a kit for $450 that relocated the driver to under the bumper and I have had 0 problems since. Sure I would rather have a Dodge or an RV to tow with, but the 6.5 is usually a few grand cheaper and that means more money for other projects. I would not hesitate to buy another with the right price. There is not the power of the dodge or ford diesel, but this isn't a hot rod either. With the money I saved I can buy a sports car to go fast in.

a brand new Injection pump can be bought for $1300 rebuilt for about $600. the auto tranny would scare me escpecially in a sub. i think they have the 700 which is a turd. plus if it is a 1500 i think 10 bolt is back there. 6.5's are about 1/4 the price of dodge or ford which makes it more appealing. PMD are a problem b/c they overheat and burn up but as stated can be relocated and do not cause much problems.they have some cooling issues as well the rear cylinders are hotter than the rest but that can also be fixed by rerouting the cooling flow. you can buy chips for them which juice them up a bit and if you add an intercooler and put a manual boost controller on them you can get good power, with upgrades they will come close to stock cummins or power stroke. the exhuast crossover pipe needs to be replaced as it is way to restricting and doesn't help back cylinder heat issues. If it has 180k on it. It needs injectors if they haven't been replaced those are about 80 a piece. as far as reliability they are reliable motors they will run 300k if taken care of.

with the money you save by buying one you can put into upgrades. Incedently i bought one a couple of months ago with a blown up motor i swapped in a new motor and have about a 1000 miles on it, i love it pulls great gets alot better gas mileage than my powerstroke. and it is paid for.

I also bought a Tech1 for it which is GM's scan tool which allows you to set timing and diagnose it with ease. if anyone has a 6.5 and would like to use it give a hollar

I have two of these at work, and they are constantly giving trouble, both had new motors before 35K.

I've towed with one once, I was impressed. It is slow unloaded, but didn't seem any slower with my PSD on a trailer behind it. Should have seen the look on the manager's face when a pulled right up front to unload!

Back