Chevy Cummins Swap

Cperry

94 Chevy Quad Cab Dually 3500

212k on truck, 12k on Chevy crate motor 6.5 now w/ a broken crank......

The plan:
-94 CTD, run stock intercooler, radaitor and manual fan clutch
-Chevy NV4500 already rebuilt
-Reseal Motor- Oil pan, timing cover, rear main
-Fix KDP
-Head Gasket w/ new head bolts
-16 degree timing adjustment
-#10 TST fuel Plate
-3000 governor springs
-Southbend MU 13-1.25 Con OFE
----------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• Cummins Swap.jpg
    Cummins Swap.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,912
Front radiator Support was heavily cut/ modified to fit, dodge intercooler and radiator. There is also room for A/C condensor. which will be run.

No body lift, but tranny tunnel and firewall was heavily modified.

Radiator and Intercooler mount in dodge factory form with holes for the rubber feet to sit in. I had to use the single square headlights with grill to fit intercooler.

Motor Mounts are tacked in, tranny crossmember is back about 4 inches and up about 3/4 of an inch.

I am running the stock fan clutch there is room not easy but i do not want an electric fan, if an electric fan motor dies 500 miles from home your kinda screwed.

Attachments

• Cummins Swap 001.jpg
    Cummins Swap 001.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 2,056
Still have to do electrical and motor work but at least it fits.

As for electrical, everything will be hooked up. Going to use dodge crusie control, chevy/dodge A/C, check engine light wait to start light will all be funtional. If you don't open the hood you won't know there is a cummins in there, well I guess you will when you hit the gas and it actually moves.

Attachments

• Cummins Swap 002.jpg
    Cummins Swap 002.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,837
What all did you have to do to use the Chevy NV4500? I thought they were diffrent then the dodge and wouldnt work.

What all did you have to do to use the Chevy NV4500? I thought they were diffrent then the dodge and wouldnt work.

the biggest differance is the size of the input shaft, swap that and it's a non issue, though I belive the Dodge version of the NV4500 had a lower 1st gear

yes the input shafts are different, I thought it was said that the dodge bellhousing would bolt up to the chevy NV but only the top to bellhousing holes line up so i am going to have to drill and tap the other 2 holes

finally got some time to work on it, set the timing to 15.4 degrees it was @ 11 from the factory was supposed to be 12.5. also dropped in the fuel plate. fixed KDP it was backed out a bit, made my own tab and found a longer bolt. retourqed all the interior cover bolts and locktited.

Attachments

• Cummins Swap 002.jpg
    Cummins Swap 002.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,558
pulled injectors they were pretty tight fortunatly 6.5 injectors are the same line size i stole an injector line nut form my old 6.5 to make a slide hammer tool they came out like butter. the 6.5 was good for something.

Attachments

• Cummins Swap 004.jpg
    Cummins Swap 004.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,544
pulled head lets just say she ain't light, I pity the fool who tries to pull one of those w/ out a hoist in a truck. shes a big girl. Crosshatch looks good pistons do have some carbon but everything looks good. sending the head out on monday.

Attachments

• Cummins Swap 005.jpg
    Cummins Swap 005.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,518
sealed up front cover and painted block and cover cummins beige. Shes gonna look good too.

Attachments

• Cummins Swap 006.jpg
    Cummins Swap 006.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,484
sweet!

installed ARP head studs and reassembled motor. motor mounts made and installed, 3/8" plate. South Bend clutch and flywheel installed. Almost go time, just need to wire and build a tranny tunnel

Attachments

• complete motor 001.jpg
    complete motor 001.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,036
Head studs were a serious pain in the dick, 26, 4 torque cycles to 125lbs serious work out. This pic was best desciped as a forest of head studs.

Attachments

• IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,072
Are your arms tired now?

looks good, more pretty pictures?

I have two trees worth of receipts here.... damn it...they keep sending them to me

Trade for a runnin' 6.2L with a good crank...??? :beer:

another for the coolness...:beer:

you are going to like that clutch. I have the same one and once you get used to it its great.

Back