CJ5 info

JohnC

I am looking for some help identifying this CJ5. This is basically a barn find with no title and no discernible VIN
It has:
  • The Buick V6 (should mean 1966-1971, unless the motor was swapped in at some point.
  • 3 speed manual (How can I find out what transmission/transfer case?)
  • An odd hole in the passenger side of the hood. Looks to be factory.
I am considering purchasing for an around the farm vehicle and thought I would reach out to see if anyone can determine the year based on what info I have given you or what you see in the pictures.

Any help would be appreciated.
cj5 hood.jpg
cj5 drivers.jpg
cj5 front.jpg

Never seen that on the hood of a 5 before. It does look factory with the lip and all on the hood. Could it have had a water fording fit on it?

Thank you all for the great info. No heater box unfortunately... but we are going to start cleaning and see what we can come up with. I appreciate all your input.

If you’re not familiar with the Dauntless engine, do a little interweb research. To an unfamiliar person one would think it had a terrible miss, fouled plug, or that the distributor was 180* out but that’s just the way they run, or idle I should say. Kinda of like in old “hit and miss” engine. They idle funny, but are actually pretty good little motors.

Thanks guys for all the input.
My first jeep experience was my older brother's Commando with the buick V6. We had a ton of fun in that thing. I think it is a good basic engine, which is all I need for this project.
I had guessed the hole was for a fording kit, so thanks for the confirmation @jeepcj3a. Does this mean that it may not be a cj5 but actually an m38? Does that make any difference?

Wife and I are in "discussions"... lol... about picking this up or not. I will keep you informed.

If you’re not familiar with the Dauntless engine, do a little interweb research. To an unfamiliar person one would think it had a terrible miss, fouled plug, or that the distributor was 180* out but that’s just the way they run, or idle I should say. Kinda of like in old “hit and miss” engine. They idle funny, but are actually pretty good little motors.
Original 225 Dauntless is an Odd Fire engine. It will not run smooth but is a dependable motor. It also has a HEAVY flywheel and that creates wonderful low idle operation and works great with the torque of it. You can add GM high energy ignition from the junk yard or use a DUI kit. You can't add a true fuel injection system due to the odd fire and the abcense of being able to read the spark with an even fire engine. If you get this Jeep there is tons of help with this motor online.

Dependable and low end are what I am after. Will likely never leave 4lo... that is the "plan" anyway.

Thanks guys for all the input.
I had guessed the hole was for a fording kit, so thanks for the confirmation @jeepcj3a. Does this mean that it may not be a cj5 but actually an m38? Does that make any difference?

Supposedly Jeep put some of the old stock M38A1 hoods on early CJ5s, or of course a previous owner could've just swapped it over. The m38A1s had reverse spring shackles in the front and split windshields among other differences like 24v electrical. That one is a CJ5.

Supposedly Jeep put some of the old stock M38A1 hoods on early CJ5s, or of course a previous owner could've just swapped it over. The m38A1s had reverse spring shackles in the front and split windshields among other differences like 24v electrical. That one is a CJ5.

Thanks! If all goes as planned I will be towing her home tomorrow afternoon!

Last edited:
Back