CO2 refill?

If you guys in Charlotte area know anywhere cheap let me know too, I'm paying $28 for a 20lbs. refill.

jdubb said:
If you guys in Charlotte area know anywhere cheap let me know too, I'm paying $28 for a 20lbs. refill.

I pay $17-$21 (depending on who's working the counter for some reason) for a 15# tank at Welder's Supply on South Blvd. They do it while I wait for no charge. Some places only wanted to exchange, some wanted 24 hours to give me my tank back, and some charged $25 surcharge if I wanted it done while I waited.

There's a shop somewhere up on Statesville Ave near I-85 that has decent prices, but I've never been.

I know another guy here that got one filled at a fire extinguisher shop over off Harrisburg Rd.

Greg

$25 for a 20lb, that blows....i just paid $12.80 for a 20lb swap out at a welder supply here in boone

the place near statesville ave only fills on certain days and the prices are a little better. OBA is not for me. My tank is handy on the farm (portable) and for when my welder's Argon mix runs out.

holy cow...the place I go in Greensboro has yet to charge me, I usually have my rig on the trailer when I go up there (cause I'm on the way out of town), they like looking it over and have never charged me a dime to refill it, I always tip the guy $10 or so. Maybe this place just operates like a bar, good tips, good service..

The welder supply out on 70 toward the airport and Angus is probably your best bet for Raleigh.

(919) 788-0664
clicky for map

jdubb said:
the place near statesville ave only fills on certain days and the prices are a little better. OBA is not for me. My tank is handy on the farm (portable) and for when my welder's Argon mix runs out.

Been there and done that also. I use a National Welders bottle so all I do is swap out the bottle. So it is big, ugly, and steel but very cheap. It was $12 to swap for a filled bottle last time. Of course I had to by some other neccesities while I was there, always do. I have a friend that takes his bottle to Souther Fire Appliance to be filled. They do a 24hr turn around and charged him $50 to fill and pressure test the bottle. With NW they take care of the inspections and any valve maintenace that is needed at no charge to me.

I am finishing up my rear bumper which should hold quite a bit of air. Although i do already have OBA with the front bumper being the tank, I was thinking about filling the rear with CO2. Anybody know if the container has to be "approved" to be filled with CO2??

Aggressive1 said:
I am finishing up my rear bumper which should hold quite a bit of air. Although i do already have OBA with the front bumper being the tank, I was thinking about filling the rear with CO2. Anybody know if the container has to be "approved" to be filled with CO2??
Yes it does, has to be pressure tested.

On that note, you "might" have problems passing inspection if your registering your offroad vehicle. Pressurized bumpers are illegal in NC. Anything that holds pressure, including air tanks, are supposed to be tested.

*note* this was just mentioned for your information, not a flame on the idea, I know it's been done before.

I understand and appreciate the help. Guess what... :flipoff2: I'm in SC and we have no inspections!!! WHOO WHOO!

So anyway, I am one of the lucky ones that can pretty much drive anything on the road. I will have to see if I can get it pressure tested somewhere then. I was thinking of just using it as a spare air tank in case I had a problem with the OBA, but thought the CO2 might be better. I guess any welding supply shop could pressure test it right?

At least with the compressed gas cylinders Ive been a part of pressure testing, here's a summary of how it works. The cylinder is put in a water filled vessel and pressurized to 5/3 (or 5/4?) its rated working pressure. The expansion of the cylinder (by how much water it displaces) is measured, and if it's beyond a certain amount, it fails.

It's a bit more complicated than a redneck with an air hose pumping the tank up and seeing if it pops... :flipoff2:

Woohoo, no inspections. Lucky dog, should realized, oh well.

So we can dump your whole rig under water to test the bumper? This should be fun.

Back