"Commercial" Sewing folks?

SHINTON

This is sorta a "wanted" but figured it might apply to several of us so I decided to start this thread here.

I was wondering if we have anyone on the board that works with the big commercial level sewing machines, capable of doing things like custom tops for our rigs?

I know there are some "boat" shops that do that kind of work, have access to the vinyl windows, etc but would rather use one of the folks on here if they exist?

(What I am "thinking" about is a ROCKGEAR style top for my YJ, or a half/cab top basically. ROCKGEAR is out of biz...looks like)

I imagine there has to be a market for this..something in the $2-300 level vs the $6-700 Bestop wants for their supertops. I hate to spend that kind of cash to just see it ripped up against the wall of an obstacle, but I would like a "non dripping" cab too, so...

I have actually thought about buying a commercial grade sewing machine and starting my own "cottage" industry...but no reason to reinvent the wheel if we have a local expert!?!?!?!

Sam...wants to be dry...getting wimpier as I get older...Hinton

it wouldbe great for some of us with atypical rigs, who are anxious to hack off our roofs, to have the option of getting a custom deal. :D

:) funny you mention this, ive been trolling ebay for a cheep one, and have started some mild research on this. But basically i expect to just use a hand sewing awe, and hand stitch it. I havnt found any good online resources for a decient stitch to do so it wont unravel if its torn... any ideas???

Mike, I was thinking about this and I have seen some tops where they literally sewed a piece of "plastic" between the two pieces of fabric. (Think something with texture of say the plastic holding together 6-packs)

I imagine this helps with the water tightness, strength and is a pliable surface that is "squeezed" between the the fabric pieces as well, sort of like a "rubber washer"?

Keep us in the loop if you end up going this route Mike!

Sam

What about the places that make tarps and RV awnings? Seems like they might be able to make something that'd work. The question, I guess, would be for how much.

Someone on this board made some Soft half doors for one of the Yota boys not long ago. I will have to search for that post.

Sam(slim)

If I remember correctly, a place in Hickory area, Annis Awning, or something like that, made a top out of canvas for some rig. May not be Annis Awning, but someone up in that area. There are a lot of boat top manufacturers in my area that make some cool tops for some rigs over here. Even seen a cool soft top on an Explorer that was sweet.

Rob

I have a friend here in Morganton that does this part time. He does excellent work and so far I have not seen him turn anything down. You would have to bring it and leave it. He did a set of seats for me, and did an AWESOME job. PM me for contact info.

Well, the guy that made my doors got a new job and is out of town alot and hard to get in contact with. The new upholstry guy at work does good work, and works at his house alot too. I can get a phone number for anyone interested, or you can send me pics of what you want and I can ask him for a pricerange.

He lives on High-Point road so he wouldn't be far from you at all Sam.

rockcity said:
If I remember correctly, a place in Hickory area, Annis Awning, or something like that, made a top out of canvas for some rig. May not be Annis Awning, but someone up in that area.

Rob

Carolina Canvas on Hwy 16 N right after Oxford Dam in Alexander Co. Kevin Winebarger, 828-632-1020. They make entry awning for businesses and lots of other shit.

They can do it but you will need a pattern or let them make one.

I purchased an Industrial Sewing Machine with table, light and all the necessities and made a soft top for my Bronco back like 6 years ago. Got it very cheap from a guy in need of money. I have wanted to get the machine serviced and running again. It's an industrial HD Singer 251-13 series made sometime in the 60's. The PO had a new 110 motor installed to do away with the 220. 110 is way plenty enough! Has a table and such. Even has a ruffler attachment if anyone wanted to get kinky. :gay: Believe me, we sewed 7 layers at once with no problem. We guessed it would sew through 10 or more layers easy!
I live in Willow Spring and would love to take this thing in to get an oil change but it weighs like 200 pounds. I also need to get the Walking Feet put back on. I took them off to do some regular sewing and forgot how the feet attached back on? There's a sewing machine place in Raleigh that knows alot about this machine and can service it. The oil is lika a 10 weight?
I'm no pro at all but I learned alot with my first top. The top has since been ripped by branches and discarded of. I used the UV protected Thread and Heavy Duty Canvas from Northern Tool and got some clear vinyl from an awning company in Garner and just went at it. I used button snaps and such to attach to body and used Industrial velcro to attach the side windows. My stepfather was in need of work at one time and I paid him to help me. With both our brains, we learned alot. Most of all is to let the fabric shrink for a few days in the sun before attempting to work with it. We used Linseed Oil to water proof it. Too much Linseed makes the top a consistancy like thick leather!
I'm willing to get this baby back up if I anyone wants to come up with them some patterns and such. The sewing machine is out in a barn and would need to be a cool day to do it though, like this Fall?

OBX Fisherman said:
I'm looking to have some rear side windows made for my XJ that can be unsnapped from the rig.

I think this could be done fairly easily.
If you go to Handcock Fabrics dwon on Peters Creek, you can buy clear vinyl "fabric" (well its basically plastic) by the yard on a 48 or 54" roll. They have some thicker stuff that'd be hardy enough I think.
For your windows, if you cut this stuff into rectangles, you could attach it to the sides by either snaps, which are easy to install but require a tool to do, or by using industrial Velcro. Wal-Mart has 5-yard rolls of industral cvelrco pretty cheap.
Anyway, w/ a "denim-gauge" sewing needle, you can sticth one side of the velcro onto the vinyl sheet, and uset he adhesive on teh otehr to stick ot to the XJ arund the window. That stuff is stong, it will hold.

If its not obvious I've been thinkin galot about thsi same topic, for a top for my '89 4Runner.
The ideal fabric we want is made by Dunbrella, they actually make the stuff for Jeep and BestTop, its a canvas/vynil combo and about $10/yd.

Sweet !!!! While im sure there are many great places that 'could' do the work. I appreciate being able to do it myself or at least try... Glad to hear somoene has done it...

I have a top in good shape I got used from Chip price, so most of it is ok. I just want to modifiy it to make my own 1/2 cab type top...

I like the plastic windows but my plan was to simply make a pocket with a valcrow or snaped top flap that i can slip in a small piece of thin plexy, that way its easily replaced...

Im interested in seeing what your machine can do, Im not sure about a pattern yet but im sure i can come up with somthing by fall...

-mike

Shinton, I did just that for my yj and it turned out great and cheap, compared to new tops ready made. see if this is what your looking for, if so very easily done.
just buy some of the top from California tops out of canada, ironicly and have it modified, i paid 50 bucks at my local upholsterer to extend it lower and add snaps. he does all these high end tops and interiors and gets off on custom stuff.
it was around 300 for the front and all the framework from them, he makes them to order. give him a call and let him know you only want some of the parts. oh yeah i have to say that these tops are pretty high quality. i have had one on my old jeep and loved it and it comes off with just two pins!!

http://www.slicktops.com/

http://canvasdealer.com/

They seem to have all the supplies we would need, including the vinyl windows and SUNbrella fabrics.

I drew it out on paper and I think I would need 3 yards of black and 1 yard of clear. So I would be looking at $63ish in material for my fastback top. Add another $30 or so for zippers, velcro, etc. My guess is $100-150 all told in cost for making it the way I want.

My biggest issue is can I "seal" it up decently around the windows...ROCK GEAR sewed in elastic around the windows, so once the door was closed, you simply pushed the edge UP/OVER the door and wahlah, less rain/wind coming in the cab!

Sam

Great link Sam!! I was searching for a place the other day that carries everything I would need to make my own side windows. The only thing holding me back is the $118 tool to put the snaps together. I'm going to talk to the shoemakers here at the museum I work at about stitching. They do stitching all day long by hand with leather that is much tougher than vinyl, I'm sure they'll have some recommendations on technique and whether this should be attempted by hand or just have an upholstery shop do it.

Gary

OBX Fisherman said:
Great link Sam!! I was searching for a place the other day that carries everything I would need to make my own side windows. The only thing holding me back is the $118 tool to put the snaps together. I'm going to talk to the shoemakers here at the museum I work at about stitching. They do stitching all day long by hand with leather that is much tougher than vinyl, I'm sure they'll have some recommendations on technique and whether this should be attempted by hand or just have an upholstery shop do it.

Gary

Gary, my dad MADE his own snap tool, basically it is just a C style clamp that he welded/filed etc and made it. It is not quite as nice as the $118 version (leaves a crecent shape dimple on the outside) but it works. We used it all the time when replacing the snaps on the top for Big Orange. (And the boat way back)

Sam

OBX Fisherman said:
\The only thing holding me back is the $118 tool to put the snaps together. Gary

Forget that thing.
http://cgi.ebay.com/20pc-Nickel-Pla...goryZ303QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This should do the trick.
You may need a vice to go w/ it to do the clamping force, but that's easy enough to find.

FYI, I have a cool tool for making nice grommets in canvas too, got it at Lowes for about $8. its a cone-shaped deal, you slip throug ha punched hole, and you put each of the two sides of the grommet on eitehr side, and clamp down w/ vice. Works very well, I've made a few bikini tops this way.
I think this thing is similar.

Oh FYI guys as mentioned I have made and can make bikini tops for the Gen 1 4Runners, PM me if you want one. Best I know there are no manufacturers that make them.

SHINTON said:
I imagine there has to be a market for this..something in the $2-300 level vs the $6-700 Bestop wants for their supertops. I hate to spend that kind of cash to just see it ripped up against the wall of an obstacle, but I would like a "non dripping" cab too, so...

I do interior work and could not even touch the price of Bestop, especially for a custom piece. It would take at least 4-8 hours plus materials. Most materials can be purchased thru Three Rivers Supply in Pittsburgh(Homestead), PA. Take your time and anyone here can make a top. You guys are on the right track. :)

I work at Awesome Awnings in Cary, and we make plenty of boat covers, and we can do softops. The only problem is that during the summer we're VERY busy, and it'd probably have to wait till winter.

Back