Congrats to ECGS and Oliver's Drive Shaft in 4 Wheeler mag.

I always suggest ECGS when they have something or a service someone needs. I've only bought from them once, but I've called several times with questions and they've gladly helped me even though I wasn't buying anything. I will do business with them every time I need something because of this.

I've never bought from ECGS...but from the volume of positive reviews I see here, I'll usually recommend them as a parts source. Oliver's I've had a few driveshafts done...and I can't say enough good about them.

I ordered some Spicer ball joints from ECGS last year. Received 2 upper ball joints in one of the boxes (should have been 1 upper and 1 lower). Obviously Spicers fault for packaging them wrong, but as soon as I called ECGS and explained the problem he sent me a replacement pair with a return label for the incorrect pair. Great company to do business with.

It was definitely a good writeup, but I chuckled about how they went semi-float to save weight, then used 1/2" thick axle tubes.

They probably saved 50lbs (maybe) by going semi float.... If there is EVER a choice, I would do full float every time. It was a good article though!

Not only weight but money as well. The only way to go 5x5.5 full float is to go with double spline shafts and unit bearings. The difference is about $750 and roughly about 100 pounds.

You don't HAVE to use unit bearings, but I know double splined shafts are a little pricey. I've actually never seen a full floater (rear) built with a unit bearing. I can see how it would be done, but I don't see any advantage to it.

A lot of people are goin full float using the unit bearings, yes they can be more pricey, but they're also designed to be under the front of a 6-7k pound truck. Most do it for simplicity of replacement, pull wheel and rotor, caliper, drive slug, 4 nuts and the bearing is off. Repeat for assembly. If you can keep the shaft from coming out, it wouldn't even leak any oil. The guys using 60 spindles are having lots of problems with bending the spindles also. If you have good credit, the rebuildable Spidertrax units are pretty slick, but they're not cheap.

Bump for another round of the article in the next issue (May I guess). The continuation of building the Dana 60 front. Think this is ECGS's 3'rd appearance in that mag (or 4 wheeler / sister mag) so far?

If you guys like the local articles, thank Ali Mansour by subscribing to his new mag. Ali has been put in charge of 4WD & Sport Utility, so we should see quite a bit of east coast coverage. Off-hand, I know of quite a few upcoming features involving local folks.

If you guys like the local articles, thank Ali Mansour by subscribing to his new mag. Ali has been put in charge of 4WD & Sport Utility, so we should see quite a bit of east coast coverage. Off-hand, I know of quite a few upcoming features involving local folks.

Ali is a great guy, there are some great stories from back when we used to hang out at UNCW. I didn't know he was now with that mag, I may need to subscribe now. His articles over the years has done a great job of showing the east coast and NC in particular.

Yeah, I actually emailed him a few months ago and got a response in a day or two. Seems like a really nice guy. I mean, he did at least take the time to respond to my email. I think I complimented him on an article he wrote or something like that. If memory serves me, he's from Wilmington.

Just want to give a shout out to Dave and crew at Olivers drive shaft. Dropped my Jeep off with them with a to do list and picked it back up today good as new. Thanks guys for the help cause with my work schedule and the upcoming Moab trip I just didn't have time to finish it by myself and I knew it would be in capable hands at Olivers. Remember they don't just do driveshafts, so call them up if you need some help like I did.

Back