Coronavirus

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by drkelly, Jan 27, 2020.

1. drkelly

drkelly Dipstick who put two vehicles on jack stands

Coronavirus seems to be spreading rapidly. 80 dead now. I think it was just 26 dead on Friday or Saturday. Over 2,700 cases with many confirmed in countries other than China now. What have you heard? I'm curious if @RatLabGuy knows anything more than what is on the major news stations.

2. tlucier

tlucier Well-Known Member

My company does quite a bit of business in Asia (mainly China & Vietnam) and it seems like we always have someone from our US office traveling there for work. Early last week the owner of the company put all travel to Asia on hold until this outbreak is contained. Given the Chinese New Year holiday was 1/25, and domestic travel within China during the new year holiday is very high, I can only imagine it will spread even more.

3. jeepinmatt

jeepinmatt Still Fat

I found it odd that they were screaming outbreak when it was just 3 dead and about 100 confirmed cases. Obviously they knew something I didn't, which is suspicious. What do the Chinese people have on the Clinton's?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  4. UTfball68

UTfball68 Well-Known Member

(Tongue in cheek post is tongue in cheek)...I'm pretty sure there's a conspiracy theory here tying the trade battle to this as biological warfare.

5. superman27344

superman27344 Well-Known Member

zfrixifz7xc41.jpg

6. RatLabGuy

RatLabGuy You look like a monkey and smell like one too

Negative, no special insight here.
    Frankly where I work we pretty much avoid any travel to China and really any interpersonal exchanges due to their well known habits of spying and stealing info.
    However, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a gov-wide travel restriction or related notification any minute.

The big fear is the latest claim that it can be contagious before symptoms show up. If that is true then it is a major problem for any kind of screening and will make back-tracing exposed folks very difficult.
    NIH rep in an interview this AM said they are working on a preventive vaccine, but will be a month before it can even go into safety trials, and realistic prediction is a year before it's widely distributable.

JSJJ388 likes this.
  7. UTfball68

UTfball68 Well-Known Member

That is my main question, transference...do we have to worry about buying a new pair of Nike’s, or cell phone...or do I need the infected to sneeze directly in my mouth. I haven’t really been keeping up with current events, so the first couple times I saw it, thought it was a joke regarding drinking too much.

80E44B8B-1EE6-46AF-84FC-F616EE090C38.jpeg

8. 77GreenMachine

77GreenMachine Phillip Talton

I just ate Chinese for lunch. Been nice know you fools. Least I went to Harlan right before I die.

GubNi, Chris_Keziah, JSJJ388 and 6 others like this.
  9. RatLabGuy

Seems the jury is out on that. Previous similar viruses were not transferable until they were in oozing mucus, e.g. you already had nasty snot and other symptoms, and so you'd know you were sick. Hence why the CDC is skeptical. But the leading Chinese guy claims they have cases of people infected who did not come into contact with anyone obviously sick, so thats their conclusion.

10. jeepinmatt

jeepinmatt Still Fat

Isn't that true if most viruses? Otherwise I would think we could pretty easily eliminate most of the common ones.

GubNi likes this.
  11. RatLabGuy

We can't eliminate them because we don't have 100% effective treatments, and because people are stupid and travel anyway when they are sick.
    The latter is especially problematic among poorer communities where not going to work creates major life problems.

12. awheelterd

awheelterd Well-Known Member

I just really hope they time lapse video building that 269,000 sqft hospital in 6 days.

rockcity, tkeaton and jeepinmatt like this.
  13. drkelly

drkelly Dipstick who put two vehicles on jack stands

Yes, I read that a person with this Coronavirus can be contagious for 10 days prior to developing symptoms. I believe that was not the case with SARS back in 02 and 03.

14. RatLabGuy

Well, Total Home Makeover Extreme Edition or wtfever it was called used to do that insanity all the time

jeepinmatt likes this.
  15. awheelterd

awheelterd Well-Known Member

Remodeling a 3,000sqft house in a week =/= building a hospital from the ground up in a week.

16. jeepinmatt

jeepinmatt Still Fat

I bet 269000sqft of tents =/=a real hospital

RenegadeT, NCJeeplover, GubNi and 2 others like this.
  17. RatLabGuy

Bingo

The Chinese are really good at building things quickly. And cheaply.
    ... now whats that third variable...?

18. Futbalfantic

Futbalfantic Well-Known Member

I’m always skeptical on the contagion rate and lethality of the new virus. Of course contagions spread like wild fire in China. There’s 6 billion packed in there.

Bogleparsons and jeepinmatt like this.
  19. obullfish

obullfish Carolina Trail Blazers

You’re good as long as you ate the cat.

Jason W., GubNi and 77GreenMachine like this.
  20. 49willys

49willys Well-Known Member

I'm going to shelter in my man cave, not touch any incoming mail, keep working in same said cave, not take any calls I don't don't know the number,
    wait that's what I do everyday.

tkeaton, Jason W., JSJJ388 and 2 others like this.
  21. BrianGreen

BrianGreen SSG Brian Green

I’m safe, I drink Dos Equis.

22. Mac5005

Mac5005 Welding Instructor

How many Americans will catch it due to amazon prime speedy delivery of Chinese goods haha.

All the makings of a good made for TV movie

23. GotWood

GotWood Sayer of Fact

@jeepinmatt says you can pick any 3!

jeepinmatt likes this.
  24. 77GreenMachine

77GreenMachine Phillip Talton

I read a book once and it started just like this. Dude got a virus, was contagious for 2 weeks before symptoms were shown. Once you showed symptoms, you were dead in 3-4 days. People started dropping like flies, rumors said it was a biological attack so one country sends up nukes, this one and that one, everyone nuked everyone and very little survived. The setting was based 470ish years afterwards and they knew nothing of us or our technology, it was back to horse and buggy living. Very good 3 book series, but now it’s freaking me out a little lol.

25. jeepinmatt

jeepinmatt Still Fat

Was it called Twilight?