CTD High idle

MtnYJ

CFSJC Member
I'm new to NC 4x4, it seems to be a great resource, and I hope to be able to help others as much as I have been helped through reading the forums. That being said, does anyone have any experience with a high idle condition in the 2nd gen. HO Cummins? I have an '01 6SP 4wd, and after I have been cruising at highway speed for a hundred miles or so, and come to a stop, the engine RPM's stay up somewhere around 1100-1200. From time to time, gearing down to a stop will help the problem, but most often it does not. Thanks for the help, look forward to being able to return the favor sometime!

cable frayed

some of the cummins were prone to frayed throttle cables that would then hang up randomly. Might be what yours is doing after being in same position for a while at highway speeds. Check and make sure you cable is lubed and not frayed.

MtnYJ said:
I'm new to NC 4x4, it seems to be a great resource, and I hope to be able to help others as much as I have been helped through reading the forums. That being said, does anyone have any experience with a high idle condition in the 2nd gen. HO Cummins? I have an '01 6SP 4wd, and after I have been cruising at highway speed for a hundred miles or so, and come to a stop, the engine RPM's stay up somewhere around 1100-1200. From time to time, gearing down to a stop will help the problem, but most often it does not. Thanks for the help, look forward to being able to return the favor sometime!
My 96 did that just before the cable broke.
Give it a good look and take the cable off (at the motor) to see if its sticking.
Jon

If you snap the throttle open then shut again (like blipping the throttle) does it fix it?

Also, might want to do a search on APPS reset on the dieseltruckresource.com site... Seems to be a somewhat common thing on the overvalved engines...

Rich said:
Seems to be a somewhat common thing on the overvalved engines...

Rich are you having Valve envy again?

Not at all. Show me a 24v with 257,000 miles on the original injection pump... thought so. :flipoff2:

I'll know next weekend what she's putting to the wheels with the new injectors (I wussed out and got the smaller ones), but something is wrong if it's not doing 800lb-ft at the wheels.

Rich said:
Not at all. Show me a 24v with 257,000 miles on the original injection pump... thought so. :flipoff2:
I'll know next weekend what she's putting to the wheels with the new injectors (I wussed out and got the smaller ones), but something is wrong if it's not doing 800lb-ft at the wheels.
How many trannys has it gone through in 257k? ....just had to do some hating...lol

BIGWOODY said:
How many trannys has it gone through in 257k? ....just had to do some hating...lol

touche'... :D

P.S. The Dodge guys are heading to the dyno & drags next Saturday.. dyno in the AM, drag in the PM.. Down in Jax.

Rich said:
touche'... :D
P.S. The Dodge guys are heading to the dyno & drags next Saturday.. dyno in the AM, drag in the PM.. Down in Jax.

I'd be curious to see what mine has now power wise, whatever it is it's more than enough. I thought about getting the 100hp injectors, but damn it's as fast/powerful as it needs to be now. I've got 5" exhaust (striaght piped),edge comp,high flow filter. The 5" exhaust I've read will actually cut the power down some, but lower the EGT's. I towed today with the edge on level 5 (120hp/300 lbft. torque extra) running the piss out of it and it never got over 1000 degrees on the EGTs. I won't be doing that often, I was just curious how fast the EGT would climb. Oh yeah, my motor is also fresh and has .60 over pistons.

Back