Cummins coolant leak

shelby27604

Got my 06 Cummins back from the shop last week, found a massive pinion seal leak (a part the shop replaced).

I also found a coolant leak while I was under there. This is behind the turbo, I would call it a heater core tube. This looks like a makeshift fix to me, but genos shows a part that looks a lot like this hose/sleeve. Is this a 2 piece tube?

Also, if you paid someone to do a vehicle inspection.... would you expect this to have been caught?

PXL_20221004_224156129.jpg
PXL_20221004_224206978.jpg

Last edited:
That is definitely a 2 piece tube. The hose you have now has been replaced judging by the worm gear clamps. Looks like it's rubber too. That is why it's leaking. Your truck came stock with silicone in that location. It's the only thing that will handle the heat.

It looks like a rubber line, but it is actually foil covered/coated. I think this is the factory line (looked cobbled together to me) but it seems this is a common issue. New material and spring clamps was the Cummins solution.

The tube has a silicone hose at either end, so I bought both and new spring clamps...while I am in there, I might as well get both out of the way.

Still a little irritated this wasn't found at inspection, If I can find it on my back in a gravel driveway, I would have thought a Cummins guru would have seen it on a lift (or specifically looked at it, as a known issue).

It looks like a rubber line, but it is actually foil covered/coated. I think this is the factory line (looked cobbled together to me) but it seems this is a common issue. New material and spring clamps was the Cummins solution.

The tube has a silicone hose at either end, so I bought both and new spring clamps...while I am in there, I might as well get both out of the way.

Still a little irritated this wasn't found at inspection, If I can find it on my back in a gravel driveway, I would have thought a Cummins guru would have seen it on a lift (or specifically looked at it, as a known issue).
Mine leaked at one point, same year I believe. It was intermittent for a while. I put it off due to the location and very little driving of the time. I actually chased it for several months because I could smell it and not see any moisture. I was fearing a external head gasket failure.

I ended up dropping my turbo stuff and using a blue silicone material. Snugging the clamps prior worked for a while till it got coolant goop in the joint.

Back