Custom Fabrication Jigs

NickMaul

Hello all who venture to the general tech and not just the garage and general chit chat. :D

Like the title says I am curious to hear perhaps some tips or tricks for jig welding a round tube. For example welding the threaded bungs into a control arm. The idea is to be able to weld it all around in one bead rolling the tube while I sit comfortably in total control.

When I did this I used 2x4s and clamped the ground in the other side of the tube and rolled the tube down the 2x4s ramp style with one hand and held the mig gun with the other. This was pretty half assed and the control wasn't exactly what I was hoping for.

Anyone feel kind enough to show a novice fabricator what an ideal setup looks like for what I am describing?? (preferably not made out of 2x4s) :)

this is actually a picture of a DIY fishing rod wrapping stand, but the idea is the same. I knew where to look because I used to wrap rods in one like that. You need one set of two wheels at each end for support, clamp to bench edge for easy length adjustment.

I designed a welding jig for a fabricator at least 10 years ago at the place I worked, it was the same concept with metal wheels but the wheels overlapped for various reasons, like less pinching of small diameter stuff. It was a very similar situation to yours, welding some kind of insert into tubing.

Super simple, works great and rolls smooth. Any type of wheel will work, bearings make things nice and buttery.

build-rod-wrapper-1.jpg

Last edited:
Or you could cut a V block for either end and rotate in the V, but that isn't as smooth. Can add things (felt, plastic, carpet scraps) to make it slippery. Not quite as elegant as the wheels. Cheap and easy though.

I've done something similar with pipe in the past...

Somewhat secured the pipe where it would roll with little effort but not too easily so it doesn't get out of control.
Clamped something perpindiculiar to the pipe and attached a rope with a loop. Or whatever to get your foot in it.
Inserted foot in loop and slowly pulled on rope and rotated while welding for a 100% single pass.

For 1 or 2 or even 5, it's extra effort that really isn't worth it. But welding 300-400 welds on 4" pipe, well, it helps a lot. Just takes a few minutes to set up and figure out. Granted this was out in the field on dirt, gravel, etc. so it would need some fine tuning to be accepted in a shop environment.

Im not sure how serious you want to get with this, but you could make something pretty good with little effort if you wanted to spend a little money....

Use skateboard wheels and bones bearings in em if ya make your own!

I have all the parts laying here for a link welding fixture that I've had planned out for years and just never had the time to put it all together. My plan is to use roller blade style wheels that I bought from surplus center. They'll be mounted in a V block like Tom posted above and one of the wheels in one V block will be driven by a 12v HF drill motor. My Dad has done a good bit of experimenting with them. He used them for power feeds on his mini mill and it they work flawlessly. If you take the housing off the drill you're left with an inline motor, gearbox and even the cuick if you want. Simply mount that and have the chuck clamp on to a shaft that runs the wheel or wheels. For his power feed he built a 12v variable power supply but there's no reason you cant just use the POT in the trigger and existing battery and make a housing for it.

I make fixtures for a lot of things I build. Any time there will be more than one identical part its the only way to go in my opinion. I'll see if I have any pictures of fixtures I've made and post them up

Back