Custom Longarms for my ZJ.

Lifted ZJ

what up guys,
i am at 4.5" right now and running stock arms with very little vibes. nothing so serious that i can't drive it around. i've never welded before and am in need of some adj. control arms or long arms badly. is there anyone here that wouldn't mind fabbing me some long arms? i would not wanna triangulate the front or the rear because that would be extra money...maybe sometime in the future. for now i just want all the lower long arms and the upper fronts. i would just use some adj. rear uppers for now.
thanks,
ben :)

Hmm where to start. If you are at 4.5" I would not reccomend longarms because the gain in flex, handling, and ride quality is negligible considering the price you'd be paying, especially if you have some decent shocks.

Second of all I don't know exactly why you'd want to bother with longarms and try to exclude the rear uppers...if thats even possible. If I were you I'd get a nice pair of adjustable control arms. I've got JKS arms all the way around and even at 5.5" it rides better than stock.

But even if you decide you need longarms I would HIGHLY suggest Clayton's over all other. No custom fab, new design, or anything. Clayton's or Kevins Offroad pretty much has the best LA system out and as they say, don't fix something if it ain't broke. Both are good designs. Just stay away from Rock Krawler crap.

Basically, over everything else, wait til you have the money and do it right the first time. Check out www.mallcrawlin.com for more ZJ/WJ tech.

HTH

for real? i was just thinking longarms incase i ever wanted to go bigger than 4.5", and plus i heard once you have long arms your jeep rides like a freakin cadillac, i don't know if that is true or not though. jks arms are so dang expensive, that's the only reason that i'm hesitating so long...i don't wanna fork over that much cash. once i get all my arms done, bilstein shocks might be in the near future. :D

Long arms do ride like a caddy at ANY lift compared to short arms, A "C" student in geometry can look at the two designs and understand why. If you want a really nice set up custom is the way to go, if your budget is tight, you're better off to buy a mass produced kit or check with Andy or Will at Carolina Rock Shop they make some pretty nice ones at a good price.

Lifted ZJ said:
ok...and if i'm not going to be in competitions?

Sorry.

Longarms will create other problems, you will need a sye. But you will flex like crazy and ride really good.

How about drop brackets, they'll bring the geometry back close to stock and droop enough for a 4.5" lift. Plus they're much cheaper than longarms.

BIGWOODY said:
Long arms do ride like a caddy at ANY lift compared to short arms, A "C" student in geometry can look at the two designs and understand why. If you want a really nice set up custom is the way to go, if your budget is tight, you're better off to buy a mass produced kit or check with Andy or Will at Carolina Rock Shop they make some pretty nice ones at a good price.

you think custom built long arms are going to be more expensive than the rubicon express $3,000 ones? i have called carolina rock shop yet but i know they were going to charge $600 for a rear bumper and tire carrier. if i'm at 4.5" and i go with long arms i don't think i would need an sye. i don't understand how an sye has anything to do with my long arms unless i do some insane flex somewhere...

edit: do you think it would be a good idea to get a drop pitman arm to bring my tie rod, drag link, and track bar closer together for better steering? instead of having to turn the wheel 360 degrees to make a turn. :D

Lifted ZJ said:
i have called carolina rock shop yet but i know they were going to charge $600 for a rear bumper and tire carrier.

Uhh, and just how long do you think it takes to make a bumper and swingaway tire carrier, and how much in PARTS would be involved? $600 is perfectly reasonable. Priced steel lately?

Keep your drag link and the panhard bar as close to parallel as possible for the best steering. Whatever that means for your pitman, can't say for sure.

You're right LAs have nothing to do with an SYE.

I'm sure for $3000, Andy could build you one hell of a suspension.

Rich said:
Uhh, and just how long do you think it takes to make a bumper and swingaway tire carrier, and how much in PARTS would be involved? $600 is perfectly reasonable. Priced steel lately?

Keep your drag link and the panhard bar as close to parallel as possible for the best steering. Whatever that means for your pitman, can't say for sure.

oh yeah rich, i totally agree with you. $600 is a great deal for a rear bumper and swing away tire carrier including how much steel is these days. i'm not saying that it was a bad price. but when i talked to him about the bumper he also told me that if he made control arms for me (instead of me buying re, currie, tomken, etc etc...) it would be just as expensive...

edit: he said that he could get it done in a day and a day and a half to 3 days. which is pretty damn quick...but i don't have the time to drive down to charlotte, leave my zj there, then drive back a couple days later. ya know what i mean? that's why i'm kinda lookin around here for better prices, and the fact that it's local

Wolfpack OffRoad said:
Sorry.

Longarms will create other problems...

what other problems is that? curing death wobble? improving ride quality? less body roll? more flex?

I would hate for that to happen. :flipoff2:

Puma297 said:
what other problems is that? curing death wobble? improving ride quality? less body roll? more flex?

I would hate for that to happen. :flipoff2:

i was wondering what problems he meant, but really didn't even bother to ask considering long arms does nothing but good things for your jeep. :rolleyes:

Back