Dana 18 disc brake

Robertlee9138

I drive a mostly stock cj2a. I've got no e brake. I don't want to put the big bulky drum brake on it. I've got a plan in my head to coble together some type of t-fer case mounted caliper and a d-shaft mounted disc using original dash handle and cable. Anybody done something like this before?

This might be something worth looking into...

This might be something worth looking into...

A fellow jeepster/Commando guy is running these on the rear of his Jeepster (FI Buick 350-powered) and raves how well it works...

I drive a mostly stock cj2a. I've got no e brake. I don't want to put the big bulky drum brake on it. I've got a plan in my head to coble together some type of t-fer case mounted caliper and a d-shaft mounted disc using original dash handle and cable. Anybody done something like this before?

The better plan is probably to update the rear drum brakes to 11" units with the integrated parking brake. Among with the parking brake you get much better braking than with the 9" stock drums. That is the plan for my 3A.

I went through this debate with my Flat Fender. No one makes a transfer case mounted e-brake set up for the D18. I ended up going with a rear disc conversion kit from TSM Mfg Co., Inc , with their rear parking brake calipers. (I'm already running a disc brake D30 up front from a CJ5). Then cables, hardware, and hand lever from Control Cables Emergency Brake Levers | Parking Brake Controls | E-brake Levers . If I am not mistaken Control Cables can also hook you up with hardware to use the original under-dash mounted lever. Both companies are awesome to deal with, and I'm really pleased with the end result. Plus I have no big drum or disc/caliper setup hanging down to reduce my ground clearance.
In the end the cost wasn't much more and I didn't have to fabricate anything. Mounting the cable junction bracket required a little creativity with the limited undercarriage space. If you're interested I can take some photos of my setup and post them.

The better plan is probably to update the rear drum brakes to 11" units with the integrated parking brake. Among with the parking brake you get much better braking than with the 9" stock drums. That is the plan for my 3A.
Late to the party but this is exactly what I did on my 3b. Still got the 9s in front though :rolleyes:

Back