dana 30 plus 40's ='s

pheery

broke parts.

don't let your friends drive your rig. thanks to Randy (chasespop) for this little work of art.

i have been back from tellico and crawford's rock garden for about a month and i did not want to look at the jeep until last night. put a power steering cooler on it also, and the windshield is going byebye tonight with the help of mr sawzall. she is getting a much needed diet...

you can't tell very well from the pics, but it twisted pretty good, then popped, cracked all the way down the outer and twisted the splines. the break left a neat little cone shape in it also. the spindle wasn't happy, but it is ok. time for some 35 spline outers.....donations welcome.

Attachments

• broke d 60 axle shaft 001.jpg
    broke d 60 axle shaft 001.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,218
  • broke d 60 axle shaft 002.jpg
    broke d 60 axle shaft 002.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,243
  • broke d 60 axle shaft 006.jpg
    broke d 60 axle shaft 006.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 780
What am I missing.. Dana 30? Your rig?

My rig held up just fine, I don't know what happened :D
I think Patrick's luck is wearing off on me.

thats a good break ;) Deffinitely a good time to upgrade to 35 spliners. That picture makes me glad I already did.

here is where randy broke it, i think steve crawford's reply was..."30 spline outers won't cut it in my rock garden."
i need to dig up a pic showing randy in it...i can't find one...but he is guilty :flipoff2:

sorry the pic sucks, i had to crop it and zoom in...

Attachments

• tellicio march 3-5 029.jpg
    tellicio march 3-5 029.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 497
As you can see I'm not :driver: in that pic. I was in the vicinity of said offense though.

I distinctly remember Jeremy smoking the tires on school bus with extreme predjudice just prior to the jeep ending up in the rock garden. :burnout:

pheery said:
sarcasm.... d60, 30 spline outer.

Missed the sarcasm.. :eek:

You need an auto.. :D

Rich said:
Missed the sarcasm.. :eek:

You need an auto.. :D

the auto will be going in next winter. i agree, the sm465 is brutal on parts, and i am sick of having a clutch.

Greg at 4WD Factory hooked me up. Outers, ujoints, hubs for $420 cheapest I could find.

If you find them cheaper dont tell me :flipoff2:

Franklin said:
Greg at 4WD Factory hooked me up. Outers, ujoints, hubs for $420 cheapest I could find.

If you find them cheaper dont tell me :flipoff2:

I upgraded mine for just about $400 hunting and pecking parts. I got the shafts from shakerbuilt, iirc they were $200 shipped. Because I have a ford I had to replace the hub race with a d60 carrier race. Napa ujoints/race (AAA discount), and the milemarker stainless hubs from a pirate vendor, $140 shipped.

tell me more about this race studnuts, nobody has mentioned this yet. mine is also a hp ford 60, so i better know this stuff before i order anything.

pheery said:
tell me more about this race studnuts, nobody has mentioned this yet. mine is also a hp ford 60, so i better know this stuff before i order anything.

You need to replace the inner hub race with that of a carrier race (timkin 382s). This will space the hub out about an 1/8", needed to make up the difference in the shaft length(even if the shafts are cut down and resplined).

Here is a pic I took a while ago of the two races (382s on left & stock 382a on right). You can see the extra width to space the hub out to get the correct spline engagement on the lockout. I then used the milemarker stainless steel hubs(459ss). So far everything has been working perfectly.
awww.pirate4x4.com_tech_billavista_60_front_races.jpg

I have tons of pics at home(im currently on the road for work). But the swap is pretty simple and over the counter parts. I pieced mine together just b/c I knew I could save a few bucks doing it that way. But if you need any more info let me know.

may be a stupid question, but what shafts did you use. cromoly outers or spicers or what. also, is this necessary if you run flanges instead of hubs. i was leaning towards flanges, so just curious.

i can't see your pic, but it might just be me.

It's never really necessary. You might want to do it if you're running stock cut-down Spicers, because it gives you more spline engagement at the hub.

If you're running Yukon Ford stubs, then it's not an issue. Bolt them in and go.

Yep Yukons are no prob on a 78/79 HP60 and require no mods.

Back