dana 44 5 lug to 8 lug

Bullardbs

I have a 5 lug hp dana 44 and want to convert to 8 lug what parts do I need to make the swap.

thanks

IIRC you'll need everything from the knuckles out. Knuckles, spindles, rotors, hubs etc.....

I thought the knuckles were the same?A buddy of mine just changed the spindles ,rotors and hubs.I cant remember if he changed calipers or not?

anyone know for sure sounds like it would almost be easyer to find a 8 lug 44 and swap the whole axle

It is at the bottom of the link.

Option 1: Chevy parts: Grab a Chevy or Full Size Jeep Dana 44 knuckles and outer axle shaft. To convert these to 8 on 6.5" you'll need to find a 3/4 ton disk brakes Chevy truck (note some Chevy 1 tons ran a Dana 44 from 73-78). It can be running a Dana 44 (73-80) or a Chevy 10 Bolts (77-87) as these parts interchange! From the 3/4 ton truck you'll need the Spindle, Caliper mounting plate, Caliper, disk brake Rotor, Hub with lug nuts and lockout. Also grab the outer axle shaft, as all Chevy Dana 44's with the 5-297x style u-joint run the same outer shaft. Now you've the parts, make it work!! This option is harder to source parts.

Option 2: Run Ford 3/4 ton Knuckles Out, however you can only use Ford 3/4 ton brakes with Ford knuckles. This option will cost more, year for to source 3/4 ton Ford parts 76-79. Do note 76-77 is a larger hub and lock-out that is difficult to find. 77.5-79 runs the same lock-out as a 1/2 tons and is easier to find. See my Dana 44 article for more info between different types of Ford Dana 44 axles.

Option 3: Run Dodge or IHC 3/4 ton stuff. Here is how... Who am I kidding, I have no clue on Dodge stuff ;~) IHC see note in above.

Bearings, this is why you can swap:

Inner and Outer spindles bearing are the same part number for... as seen in the chart

theres plenty of info on fullsizebronco.com

chevy 3/4 ton fronts work too.

ive got some good links to write ups at home. i'll post a link when i get back there..

looks like it may be cheeper to find a whole axle and have extra parts or sell my other one

depends. you can find outers used for around $100. hell, you can get a whole 3/4 ton chevy axle for $300, a dana 60 is gonna cost you atleast a grand.

you still have drivers side drop right? the only ford option for 3/4 ton is a snowfighter d44 but your better off looking for d60, snowfighters are rare.

i had been talkin to this guy about his outers before i decided to work a deal with you on the rear axle.

http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79400

i just done one if you have both axles you don't need knuckles but will need everything else gears will interchange also if your going 60 in the rear saves buying gears

Holy old post batman

Back