Dana 60 drive slugs

toyota1

Does anyone have any tips on getting stuck dana 60 drive slugs out before i torch them? Stock full time 4wd chevy drw
20161213_193924.jpg
20161213_193929.jpg

Ive been thinking about welding two bolts to it and bridging about the wheel studs. It seems like it would be hard to drill and tap

Was that one pulled out of a lake?

Agree with the 7/16" and steering wheel puller. I'd do three, at 120deg apart.

Piece of pipe, welder & slide hammer.

Was that one pulled out of a lake?

Agree with the 7/16" and steering wheel puller. I'd do three, at 120deg apart.
I think it was the atlantic ocean. The hubs are really the only bad part luckily

I would soak it first regardless of anything else. Then I would use a blunt chisel (I have a rail road stake) to hit it and drive it in. Once you get it moving half the battle is over.

KROIL to start with soak it down for a few days and walk buy and shock it with an air hammer every few hrs.

I've used that trick successfully before.

Letting it soak under slight load from a puller works well too. Soak it down, put a puller on it under moderate tension, and let 'er eat. Keep adding penetrant every day or so as it soaks in and gets trapped in the porous rust. Come back in a few days, and you may have found it has freed itself while you were busy going about your normal business.

I ended up just cutting it out with the torch i wasnt goin to use the drw hubs and stubs anyway. Thanks for the advice

4070ED87-1798-473C-9CAE-E31CD2B3BC13.jpeg
87445177-9D2B-4EC6-BC3A-AC8F009BCCA8.jpeg

I’m in the same predicament, might see if I got room to drill/tap 3 holes for the steering wheel puller. I’m wanting to save the hubs to convert to srw, not sure if I’ll be able to tho! Definitely boogered up the stub shafts quite a bit…

I think you are going to need to do some grinding on that stub shaft. It looks like material has been peened into the area of the splines. I think you are in for an uphill battle if you are trying to clear deformed splines with a puller.

I would drive the hub in a bit, and put a bevel/chamfer at the end of the stub shaft to clear out the metal inside the splines.

Going to sound counter-intuitive but you really need to push it back in so you can clean up the outer edges of all those splines. If they are dinged/trashed up you will not be able to simply pull that thing off. I would push it back down in there, use a die-grinder to carefully clean up the ends of the stub shaft, and try again.

E12A5584-6C95-430E-812A-1E1BAD92F156.jpeg

I grinder the center down to where I could clearly see the splines for the stub shaft, got three 0.25” grade 8 bolts for my steering wheel puller in the outside and I broke one of those bolts off. The outer flange has moved small amounts in and out from me hitting and pulling, think the outer splines are the issue. I can’t get a 4” grinder in there so I think I will get a die grinder and a bunch of bits and smooth out those splines like I did the inner

1D2A36B1-5865-4037-8E31-BC6A41C44B83.jpeg

I had a mobile welder come and gas axe it off, they were able to cut on the far edge and only cut the hub, it just hammered off once they got through. So stoked to be moving on finally, thanks to everyone who gave ideas!

Yes old skateboard deck helps keep it from sinking into the dirt

If anybody has a couple SRW hubs for a GM I’d buy them, would consider dually hubs if the price is right, otherwise I’m planning to get a pair from hillbilly wizard

Back