dana44 and ford 9inch on an xj

probably just about the same stuff as swapping in any other axle!

weld on some perches, line up the angles, hook up the brakes and driveshafts. etc. there are probably a lot of swap how-tos on google and on here somewhere (build section)

I used the ford radius arms and modified them. I'd not do that again. I'd build a proper 3 link.

For the front you can either use the stock mounts and buy a bracket kit or do something custom with a crossmember.

Have you ever done anything like that before? I would say it's not hard, but it not exactly easy either there is no kit. If you're going to stick with a stock type suspension I'd say the easiest way would be to get the TNT truss for the front axle.

Still need to work out steering and brakes.

Don't forget steering,

Are you talking about putting the D44 in the front and the 9" in the rear? Or are you asking which would be easier to install in the rear? If you are talking about just putting a D44 or 9" in the rear then with an XJ it is pretty simple since they have leaf rear ends. It just comes down to if you have the ability to weld and use an angle finder so you can replace the spring perches at proper width and set the pinion angle. Keep in mind it will be extremely difficult to find a D44 or 9" with 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern of the D30.

When it comes to front it is a little trickier there are a lot more mounting brackets and angles to be measured and welded since the front of the XJ are coil. However the mounting points for the front axle on XJ are the same as a TJ so you could get a D44 bracket kit for a TJ and you would be in business. Again this will require a lot of welding and precision angle measurements to be done properly. See link below for example of the TJ brackets I am talking about.

Everything I said above only gets the axles bolted in to your jeep you still need to consider how you will do your steering and brakes. There are several choices for both it just comes down to which D44 and 9" you plan to use. Post what you year vehicle you got the axles out of and it will be easier to give suggestions on how to handle steering and braking.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product-information.asp?number=TF-3690000

I installed mine in my xj. It can be a pain in the butt, but it takes a lot of time and plenty of measuring. Measure twice weld once.

Back