Daydreaming about V8 Swap in my 84 RWD Corolla

72Rockcruiser

LETS GO BRANDON!
I've had this old 84 SR5 RWD Toyota Corolla for a few weeks, I picked it up for scrap price. As of now, all it really needs is a clutch to be readyto drive. Barely over 200k, SOB would last forever as is. Has Cold Air too!.

But the engine in it is gutless. 1.6l (4ac) 4cyl. Factory rated at 70 hp, IIRC? Believe it or not, I have had a blast with some of these cars before, even with 70 HP. I always weld up the rears on them, and they have 3.90-4.30 gears depending on the model.

So, I have always had dreams of 3tc(1.8l) swap, crazy easy, and built 3tc can be siiick. I had an 3tc 80 Corolla back when, and with a carb(Weber 38/38 built by some dude in Taylorsville) header, and a welded 4.30 third, was a blast!!! Some here have driven that car. 3tc potential in a light car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsqHroXHsIA&feature=related

Also dig rotories for their light weight and good power potential, but If I'm not gonna stay Toyota (3tc) I really wanna do a small block and have some friggin torque for a change, and I dont know shit about Mazdas. Ben studying the rotary, and I like it, though.

Rotary corlolla: http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=0reeLNIogsU

Sooo. Anyone done this, Whats easier to swap in general? Ford motors or chevy? I am not partial. I am thinking ford, because I cant think of a good car-ratio type 5spd that came with a 350? Ford, I would just nab a rolled or rusty carbed mustang and use the 302/5spd.

Love the sound of this Ford, and it would be sick in a sub 2k lbs Corolla
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2MLZHUe-bg&NR=1

Juat daydreaming, anyone have any input?

sounds freaking sweet id so do a ford small block no input really but look up eurowise in charlotte the owner is mike he might be able to lead you in the direction you need to go
he doesn't do a lot of import stuff mainly euro and high end but i think he would have some ideas!!

pic of last corolla:

Attachments

• corolla.jpg
    corolla.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 903
Im a Chevy guy at heart but the Ford 305/5sp would fit better. The distributor on SBC's always fights for space with the firewall on cramped engine compartments. The Ford dzzy is up front. Also it's alot easier and cheaper to find a Stang 5sp vs. a Camaro or Vette.

OTOH a Rotary swap would be sweet. I had one in a 1974 Courier back in highschool and it was a blast to drive. The Rotary's are a different type of power and some don't like them. I'd reccomend driving one before going ahead with the swap.

My Pops has just begun a 302/T5 swap in an MG Midget... Anythings Possible.

GL.

Joe over at Vixen Cycles/ Mayhem Metal Works in Harrisburg just finished up putting a 5.7 LS out of a GTO into a Mazda Miata. Heads and cam, Cobra independant rear end, 5 speed. It is a sleeper to say the least. I saw it smoke a 2011 vette like a joke. I was in the passenger seat and it pulls as hard as my 6.50 drag car once it's hooked up. Car weighs 2116 pounds and has roughly 500 horsepower. That is about the same power to weight ratio as a crotch rocket.:bounce2:

Joe over at Vixen Cycles/ Mayhem Metal Works in Harrisburg just finished up putting a 5.7 LS out of a GTO into a Mazda Miata. Heads and cam, Cobra independant rear end, 5 speed. It is a sleeper to say the least. I saw it smoke a 2011 vette like a joke. I was in the passenger seat and it pulls as hard as my 6.50 drag car once it's hooked up. Car weighs 2116 pounds and has roughly 500 horsepower. That is about the same power to weight ratio as a crotch rocket.:bounce2:
Hply crapes. That scares me from here. I wanna go for a ride.

I did a swap into my 91 volvo wagon. i put and LS1 and a t-56 into it. Save yourself a ton of work and buy mine. It is fast as hell, and taxes were 13 bucks this year. Perfect

Hply crapes. That scares me from here. I wanna go for a ride.

If you looked over at this at a stop light, you probably would'nt think it was about to eat your lunch. 500 hp, 5 speed, 2000 lbs, Adj. coil overs, full roll bar, IRS, subframe connectors, and huge brakes. It will make you seasick when he is giving it a work out.

Attachments

• 100MEDIA_IMAG0300.jpg
    100MEDIA_IMAG0300.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 359
Back