Decent economy double din radio suggestion

Willc

I have lived with the stock AM/FM in the Chevy since 2005. Would like to blue tooth my phone to it for pandora. Not too big into android auto I think it pulls to hard on the battery of the phone. Do not CD or amp hookups. I am pulling the dash to replace the headlight switch and figured it would be a good time to do it.

Look on crutchfield.com.
I have a Sony that was pretty cheap that I got from there. Check their scratch and dent or open box stuff solid deals for working equipment. Also, the install gear comes free with order. (Or at least it used to)

I've got an appointment so I can "just pay the man" on the 23rd. I'm not a tech kind of guy at all and my ford dash will take some grinding, torching, and mild explosive charges to get the new radio in. They are going to use a Blaupunkt or Pioneer.

I've recently done three radios, one Kenwood from crutchfield and two were android radios. I'm way happier with both android units over the Kenwood. The first android was a Joying the second was the bargan'ist basement radio (ASTSH brand)
I could find on Amazon to suite my requirements. The Joying has a much better user interface and seems to be the most reliable of the three. The Kenwood has been a real disappointment, very slow response, Bluetooth is flakey, unit will hang up, among other issues. The Kenwood was the only double din I installed but there are several flavors of double din androids available, one of which I will likely be replacing the Kenwood with. I will say that the android radio is a different user experience than a traditional radio but so far it's been worth it.

Look on crutchfield.com.
I have a Sony that was pretty cheap that I got from there. Check their scratch and dent or open box stuff solid deals for working equipment. Also, the install gear comes free with order. (Or at least it used to)
Good luck. I'm waiting for something decent that doesn't cost $700 to come in stock...

Pioneer NEX1300 in my tow rig with Apple CarPlay. Around $300 and I love it.

Recently called Crutchfield for something similarly priced to go in my daily Avalon. Wound up with a Jensen CAR170W and I love it. It’s kinda bare bones simple but does have wireless CarPlay and Bluetooth. $379

CB370937-ADB6-4D23-9548-60172570444C.jpeg
AC482109-0AA7-4BF7-A10A-A5F62851C688.jpeg

Last edited:
I was in the Galax WM this afternoon and they had an Android double DIN for like $119 and one that did Apple Car Play for $150.

Back