Delayed response to gas pedal and bucking

Stankoma

Yearly Wheeler
I couldn't think of a good title, but here's what's happening. In the mornings, and only in the mornings, about 60% of the time when I first crank up and drive about 50 yards to the stop sign at the end of my neighborhood and stop, when I try to give the truck gas, there's no response (truck doesn’t move, but RPM’s raise) for about a second or two and then all of a sudden it jumps forward with momentum. It’s as if I have it in neutral, press the gas, and then pull it into gear. Usually short after that, at the next stop sign about 50 yards away, I come to a complete stop, foot on the brake, and then the truck bucks forward (feels like axle wrap, but slightly more violent). Can’t be axle wrap, because I’m slowing from about 10 to 2 miles an hour. After that, everything is fine. What the heck could this be?

’96 Tacoma, Automatic, 3.4 lt V6, 4.10 gears, Rear locker.

Did they replace your torque converter when the flexplate broke?

I'll 3rd the vote on the tranny...
TC 1st guess
then start looking at internals...

Torque converter was not replaced when the flexplate broke, but everyone nailed it on the head. Tranny fluid was 2 quarts low. True test will be tomorrow, but that is most likely the issue. Next time I won't check my fluid in the dark. Thanks peoples.

Back