Detroit TrueTrac install

hurt4x4

Looking for a shop to install a TrueTrac in the 7.5 front diff of my 4runner.
Anyone within a reasonable distance from Boone?

uploadfromtaptalk1408498466863.jpg

Buckeye Performance Inc.
offroad fabrication
drivetrain/differential service
828-779-2242

Isn't there a fabricator in Boone, I think he built a ASU XJ :lol:

There is some technical difficulties with those true tracs and they have been discontinued............... they can be installed but some pieces should be machined for them to work properly.

1. as evidence of the picture, truetrac did not provide a provision for a needle bearing or a bushing in the case nor did they even slot it for oil flow. Therefore the shaft can ride metal on metal on the driverside. If you do not have manual hubs then this CV spins all the time. We bore the case and install a bushing. In some instances a CV shaft has seized to the truetrac this is rare as the TT side gear typically keeps it centered, but it is a poor design.
2. the side gear does not retain the CV shaft as it should there are two different styles over the years one allows the CV shaft to float to far out and will cause seal to leak the revision does not allow the shaft to seat at all. On the revision you remove side gear and bore like .100 out of the inside to allow C-clip to seat. On previous version you can modify cv shaft with additional groove or cheat the seal out and hope for the best.

There is some technical difficulties with those true tracs and they have been discontinued............... they can be installed but some pieces should be machined for them to work properly.

1. as evidence of the picture, truetrac did not provide a provision for a needle bearing or a bushing in the case nor did they even slot it for oil flow. Therefore the shaft can ride metal on metal on the driverside. If you do not have manual hubs then this CV spins all the time. We bore the case and install a bushing. In some instances a CV shaft has seized to the truetrac this is rare as the TT side gear typically keeps it centered, but it is a poor design.
2. the side gear does not retain the CV shaft as it should there are two different styles over the years one allows the CV shaft to float to far out and will cause seal to leak the revision does not allow the shaft to seat at all. On the revision you remove side gear and bore like .100 out of the inside to allow C-clip to seat. On previous version you can modify cv shaft with additional groove or cheat the seal out and hope for the best.

I appreciate you bringing that to my attention. I wish i had known before hand. I researched them a good bit before i decided to go with one but never came across those problems. Chris @ Buckeye pointed out that there was no needle bearing on the pass side, but i don't think either of us assumed it was a design flaw. The side pictured with no bearing is the pass side where the ADD stub shaft bolts to, so i don't see how it could cause a CV to sieze to the truetrac? but possibly the stub shaft could sieze??

ECGS was the first place i called looking for one because they where listed as an option with the complete clamshells. The person i spoke with said that y'all did not carry them anymore, but did not go into detail why. I didn't think to ask assuming there where problems with them. The place i did end up getting it from happily sent it to me without saying a word.

Also both of my CV's seated properly, so it looks like i have leaking axle seals in my future.

And just to clarify. You are referring to the 7.5 reverse rotation diff correct? Because in the OP I just have 7.5

Yes I was referring to T7.5R which is what you have. We have put them in with no mods and had no issue so hopefully yours will be fine but we do not recommend them and they have been discontinued until further revision. If it was mine i would put it in and deal with the issues at hand its just hard to explain to a customer that the product you are selling them may have issues.

Back