Differences in 4.0 Flywheel/Crank

mmmkay325

Differences in 4.0 Flexplate/Crank

I've got an 88 YJ that the po put a 92XJ 4.0 in. He mated it up to the stock tf999 3speed auto that was originally in the YJ. The 92XJ motor is now shot...I pulled it and was trying to put in another XJ 4.0 out of 93 cherokee that original had the aw4 mated to it. When we started to put the motor in we realized the flexplate/backside of the cranks are not the same. The 92XJ 4.0 has a large whole that allows the tf999 torque converter to slide into....but on my new 93XJ 4.0 the crank is more flat and won't allow my tf999 tc to slide in. Soooo b/c of money... without getting an aw4 right now....is there an option to get a different tc? Does anyone know if tf999 tc and aw4 tc's have the same splines or are even swapable?

Old 92XJ 4.0 mated to tf999

New 93XJ 4.0 mated to a aw4, but i'm trying to mate it to my tf999
aimg857.imageshack.us_img857_1123_93xj.jpg

It looks like the end of the aw4 converter is broke in the crank.
There is only one size pilot for a 999. An aw4 converter will not work in a 999.
I would just about bet money on that being a broken pilot.

...taking a closer look it does look like the inner shaft of the "pilot" may have sheared off. Any suggestions on how to get it out?? I thought about maybe welding a rod to it and trying a slider hammer style removal? Would heat be bad that close to the rear main seal?

...taking a closer look it does look like the inner shaft of the "pilot" may have sheared off. Any suggestions on how to get it out?? I thought about maybe welding a rod to it and trying a slider hammer style removal? Would heat be bad that close to the rear main seal?

I have never saw an AW4 flex plate look like that. I believe it is sheared off in there. I'd try weld/slide hammer.. or just remove the flywheel bolts and rock the flywheel and that may pop out.. tapping with a hammer might remove it too. vise grips are an option too. as is a drill/tap and a bolt.

try tapping it with a hammer and screwdriver(on 1 side or the other) not in the center. if it still doesn't move i would drill it and use a dent puller (or similar style puller).
it shouldn't be that tight in there.

And FWIW, those are FLEXPLATE's, not "flywheels"... theres a difference :flipoff2:

Here's the deal, i'm the retard that can't even get the broke thingy out of the whatchamacallit. :shaking: I'm doing good just to realize the t/c wont fit with this in there...lol I ain't no worried about them term-i-nology words... i went to the school in the mountains and my momma always said i is special! :huggy:

:lol: naw your right...i should have known better, me learnin!

I stand corrected:beer:
Flexplate = Auto
Flywheel = manual

thanks guys:beer:...popped right out with a screw driver:shaking:

aimg834.imageshack.us_img834_2858_img00188201104131945.jpg

try tapping it with a hammer and screwdriver(on 1 side or the other) not in the center. if it still doesn't move i would drill it and use a dent puller (or similar style puller).
it shouldn't be that tight in there.
thanks guys:beer:...popped right out with a screw driver:shaking:
Man that Transman is a Helluva Mechanic,all kidding aside,he really knows his stuff.I am glade it worked out for ya man!:beer:

Man that Transman is a Helluva Mechanic,all kidding aside,he really knows his stuff.I am glade it worked out for ya man!:beer:

2x :beer::beer: couldn't have done without him!

Back