DIY Bluetooth Soundbar

mbalbritton

#@$%!
So, I haven't been in the custom car audio scene for many years... decades... I either left the factory stuff in there, or had nothing at all. Our '87 Wrangler has an aftermarket typical soundbar from Rugged Ridge or some-damn-body, wired to a Sony head unit with detachable face, but new enough to have BT. However the head unit is pissing me off because the buttons don't work 90% of the time. So, I thought why not turn the sound bar into a BT sound bar.

Anyone ever built their own BT sound bar or speaker system? What should I consider? Looks like there are kits out there you can buy that have the BT component, or even speakers and BT component kits.

Clearly I need something that is 12V, preferably meant for outdoor use. I don't know what I don't know, so please throw out anything else I should consider.

There are many ways, easiest would probably be to buy one of the hundreds of sxs or wakeboard tower Bluetooth speakers, or buy a bt head unit and factory wiring harness adapter this would be my choice since you get to keep radio. 3rd and what I do for equipment is a boat amp and controller like this
Pyle Waterproof Bluetooth Marine Amplifier Receiver - Weatherproof 2 Channel Wireless Amp for Stereo Speaker with 600 Watt Power, Wired RCA, AUX and MP3 Audio Input Cable - (Black) https://a.co/d/6DBi8GC

I'm interested as well and following. My Tacoma needs a new stereo and speakers and I want to ditch the head unit all together and go fully Bluetooth off an amp. I ripped the antenna off long ago and can't even recall when I listened to the actual radio last in any of my fleet.

Still running the YJ/TJ(?) overhead sound bar (highly modified to fit the narrower tubes) fed by a Rockford-Fosgate "Punch" amplifier which is fed by a Chineseum BT receiver w/ volume control... oddly continues to work great after 10 years

After some digging around, I didn’t realize how cheap you can pick up a head unit for now. It really would be easiest.

I’d still be interested in building my own BT speaker box just for fun though .

if you're really looking for some serious sound with tight crisp bass/mids and highs I built these for TJs/LJ and they are phenomenal!! holds 4 8inch with 2 tweeters and factory overhead lights.. the sound is outrageous. customer has 1500w amp pushing the 4-8s and tweets on 300w. bit overkill but daiuuum. one of cooler things I've built
20230427_164835.jpg

if you're really looking for some serious sound with tight crisp bass/mids and highs I built these for TJs/LJ and they are phenomenal!! holds 4 8inch with 2 tweeters and factory overhead lights.. the sound is outrageous. customer has 1500w amp pushing the 4-8s and tweets on 300w. bit overkill but daiuuum. one of cooler things I've built
View attachment 421114

did you use a effin crane to lift it in place?
jeez whatever happen to some simple glass work

did you use a effin crane to lift it in place?
jeez whatever happen to some simple glass work
it's what he wanted, it was kinda heavy not gonna lie. After his $800 plastic fancy one failed (warped/melted) he said screw it and build a lifetime one lol. He added the shocks for a cool factor..everyone digs it, I've picked up several customers off it alone
17210554108817666289351090961439.jpg

it's what he wanted, it was kinda heavy not gonna lie. After his $800 plastic fancy one failed (warped/melted) he said screw it and build a lifetime one lol. He added the shocks for a cool factor..everyone digs it, I've picked up several customers off it alone
View attachment 421121

Please tell me that got welded in

Please tell me that got welded in
took a piece of tube, cut it in half to match factory mounting location, added an extra bolt on each side. I preferred welding it in but his being a fancy mall crawler he wanted it bolted. it works

Back