DIY In Tank Fuel Pump Help

orange150

I keep going back and for on which type of fuel pump I want to run once I switch to FI in the Jeep... currently leaning towards making my own in tank pump using the OE fuel pick up/sending unit.

CJSU-20_v1.jpg

The OE 20gallon tanks in the CJs need to have that kink in the pick up tube to reach the lowest point of the sump. Because of that, I'm thinking the best place to install the pump would be just before the bend. Would starvation be an issue if it wasn't the absolute lowest point on the pickup?

1610743841584.png

If that's not an issue, the next thing I'm worried about is running the wiring safely. Is it as simple as making some studs and using simple screw hardware and lock nuts? I'd hate to get all explodey one day.

Not much help, but I think @RenegadeT just ran an external high pressure fuel pump when he installed the MOPAR EFI kit on his 77 CJ7 many years ago. He put a lot of miles on that setup.

If the fuel pump supports it, there is usually no reason that you can't extend the pump to the pickup with a hose. Depends if the pump you're using is compatible with hose attachment on the lower end.

I just did a quick Google search (I don't know anything about CJs), and apparently Holley makes a drop-in retrofit EFI assembly for those, complete with sending unit and a badass looking pickup configuration. $330 and you've got fuel for EFI.

Huh. I looked at Holley a while ago (Sniper system is my plan) and they didn’t have one, or I disregarded it because it’s for a 15gal tank. If it can be extended for the 20gal then it’s a possibility.
Novak also makes one that’s drop in.

my whole thing was they’re both expensive, I was thinking I could DIY it for cheaper.

Or, is it a case of buy once cry once?

Last edited:
I found these bulkhead connectors that I think could work. I need to spend some time to make sure they will actually fit.

One of the things I've seen people do is run the wiring through the return port of the sending unit. I don't want to do that as I want to utilize it.

Next, for the fuel pickup I was thinking I could just use some Hydramat to deal with the offset sump, but apparently that stuff is made from unobtanium and is priced as such. More google sleuthing to do for that.

A $30 fleabay knock-off "E-2000" mounted inside the frame rail has been pushing my TBI setup (and 10 others that I'm aware of) for the past 12+ years without any issues... not to mention less chance of 💥 (if that's a real concern?), much le$$ expen$e/hassle, and can be changed trailside without dropping tank/trap door in 10 minutes.
And before anyone says it, the "E-2000" specs will push "LS" pressures... may not have enough flow for their stock "500 HP" :rolleyes:

So what's driving the NEED for in-tank?

A $30 fleabay knock-off "E-2000" mounted inside the frame rail has been pushing my TBI setup (and 10 others that I'm aware of) for the past 12+ years without any issues... not to mention less chance of 💥 (if that's a real concern?), much le$$ expen$e/hassle, and can be changed trailside without dropping tank/trap door in 10 minutes.
And before anyone says it, the "E-2000" specs will push "LS" pressures... may not have enough flow for their stock "500 HP" :rolleyes:

That is what I ran in my cab truck, and in my Samurai. Never had a problem with either of them.

Don't know that I necessarily need in-tank, but figured it would be better in the long run due to potential heat and fuel starvation. Everything states that the pump needs to be as close to the bottom as possible. The 20 gallon tanks hang lower than the 15s.

IMG_6820.JPG

IMG_6837.JPG

Back