Dodge axle swap?

95yj

hey guys, I'm thinking about using the axles from 94 ram 1500, a 44 and chrysler 9.25 in my yj.
so two questions, what do you guys think of these axles?
I'm planning on going spring over with 2" springs and running
38" tires.
And two, where would I get axles shortened in the Raleigh area?

well if they are extremely cheap/free they might be worth it...

The 9.25 is a beef axle, but gets a bad rap from the C-clips (which bring the suck if you pop one) and the lower amount of aftermarket support...
The d44 up front has hub assemblies which fail quickly with big tires and wheeling, also it is setup for coil springs and 5link (which will need to be removed)... Also it has a CAD on the long side shaft that will need to be dealt with...

might be easier and more cost effective to get a set of waggy 44s, or HP44/9, HP44/60

The 9.25 is a good axle, but gearing is very limited. i think ou can get 4.88s for them now, but I'm not sure. I know 4.56 used to be the lowest ratio.

The front D44 is pretty weak for 38s. The wheel bearings held up pretty well to off road abuse, it was the daily driving of a heavy truck on wide wheels and 38s that did mine in. I did run it for along time with 4.56 gears, locked with 38s. I have yet to break a CAD setup with the D44 or now my '95 Ram D60, but I am sure it is possible. U-joints are weak and will always take the expensive to replace shafts out.

The other problem with the 9.25 is the lack of much choice in lockers for it. No ARB or such. The Detroit locker is great, though.

doesnt the front axle use some weird disconnect assembly for one side of the carrier instead of auto hubs?

dodge swap

yeah it does and it sucks, you can change it out with a 1 piece drive shaft from ems for about a $150. thats not what hurts you on a dodge axel even a dana 60 out of a dodge is the same week parts its the unit bearing in the auto hubs wich can also be changed out with ems hub kit for $1300 plus 35 spline outer upgrade wich gets rid of all the week very exspensive parts in the dodge dana 60. if youre going to spend all this money and you still have to chang everthingover to a yj you need to just get a dana 60 king pin or some other kind of ford dana 60 axel with manuel locking hubs

Back